Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland: Seeking Opinions on 15 Night Proposed Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-seeking-opinions-on-15-night-proposed-itinerary-777837/)

davispeets Apr 8th, 2009 09:50 AM

Ireland: Seeking Opinions on 15 Night Proposed Itinerary

This is 50th Birthday Trip for my husband for late August/early September. We have a basic idea of what we enjoy most on our past European trips – small unplanned moments watching people’s daily lives in other countries, walking around towns and looking in store front windows. We have less enjoyed spending time in “must see” museums/ churches etc. & driving to see natural scenic areas.

Primary Goals:
* Leisurely Pace
* Less Time in Car.
* More Time in Pubs.
* More Time Observing Daily Life.
* Central Sleeping Locations – Park Car & Walking Around and find lively night activity.
* Married, Ages 45 & 50

So here is the basic structure thus far - nothing has been purchased/reserved yet.

Fly into Dublin; Out of Shannon.
• Dublin (3)
• Kilkenny (2)
• Kinsale (2)
• Kenmare (2)
• Dingle (3)
• Galway (2)
• Ennis (1)

I still feel we are moving around too much (7 locations) – it’s such a hassle to pack & move & wasted time. But then again, I don’t want to spend a lot of time backtracking back to a home base, as I understand driving times are slow. And I will worry about our luggage/laptops in the car – as we make sightseeing stops between locations. Si I'm torn. Further, as the driver, I won’t be able to drink any Guinness until we are parked for the night! So we would like to be situated at night in towns with some nightlife (not clubbing).

I am least sure about the Kinsale/Kenmare time distribution of the trip. Also, perhaps reduce Dublin to 2 nights – and tack it somewhere else? Need jetlag recovery time (flying from SFO).

Thanks for any suggestions and improvements!

reillygee Apr 8th, 2009 11:35 AM

davispeets,

We are doing a similar route in May / June. I can't offer you personal experience, but just what I have been told by others in this forum and other forums.

I have been to Dublin and enjoyed it. We spent 2 days there, could have spent another. I think it depends on whether or not you like cities. With that being said, that was because we thought there was lots to do there. If I were just relaxing and people watching, I probably would spend only a day or two there.

We will be staying in Kilkenny and Kinsale also for two days. I've been told both are great towns. We are giving Kenmare 3 days, but that is to see the scenery in the area. Perhaps you could tack on one of your Dublin days to one of these towns. We are also staying 3 days in Dingle. which I am told is more than enough time there.

I've been to Galway and we weren't that excited about it. It may have been that it was one of our last stops after touring the northern part of the country, which is simply spectacular, so that any city was a letdown. We enjoy more the scenery and historical sites than it seems you do. Its a college town so there is lots going on. Perhaps you would like it more.

Good luck with your planning.

JOHNOD Apr 8th, 2009 02:45 PM

this not the worst I have seen and at least your planning to spend at least two nights at each location. Having said that I would cut Dublin down too two nights and Dingle the same. The extra nights could be spent a number of ways. A trip out on the Mizen or Beara peninsula's for some great views or perhaps a trip out to the Aran Islands from either Doolin or Galway. If you do stop in Doolin on the way to Galway drive along the coast around Black Head with Galway Bay on the left and the Burren on the right, great views, Ballyvaughn for lunch. Have fun

irishface Apr 8th, 2009 04:58 PM

I wouldn't cut any time from Dublin. there are lots of things to do and see there. However, I would go straight from Kilkenny to Kenmare and add the Kinsale nights elsewhere. I was not that enthralled with Kinsale. I thought that it was crowded and touristy. But that is only my feeling. Lots of people love Kinsale and the masses can't be wrong, can they?

skibumette Apr 8th, 2009 06:37 PM

I would leave Dublin at three days. If you are coming from SFO you're going to have more jet lag than someone coming from east coast. Don't expect to accomplish much on Day 1, other than a good walkabout in the daylight. Anything else you manage will put you ahead of the game. Then allow a full day (#2) for Dublin city. Day 3 could be an excursion (maybe a tour, if you're not quite ready to tackle the roads) to Tara, Boyne and Newgrange. You'll be able to see the Southern Sights (Powerscourt, Glendalough) en route to Kilkenny.