Ireland/Scotland trip

Search

Ireland/Scotland trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland/Scotland trip

Hello, am new to this, but have been reading such wonderful ideas, I thought I would ask regarding my trip for July/August to Ireland/Scotland, here goes:

Prospective idea...very flexible:

Fly from Venice, Italy to Shannon, Ireland.

Rental car? Or bus? two adults and one 7 year old who is used to traveling.

Very much want to stay in Dingle at Clanmara B&B for a couple of days

Visit: Cliffs of Mohor, Ring of Kerry, a working farm (Tullyboy or Kennedy Farm) Gallarus Castle in Ballydavid AND a definite must see for us is Giants Causeway. Also trying to find a festival during our time frame in Ireland...geared for family fun..Irish dancing, food, ect.

Drive/Fly/Train to Scotland to try and get a peek of the "Loch Ness" and buy a kilt, stay maybe 1 or 2 nights and then fly back to Venice.

We DO NOT want tourist hot spots so would prefer to stay clear of Dublin during high season...we want 'Old Irish" villages and such.

Any suggestions on exactly HOW I should go about this from your past or present experiences?

We are an American military family stationed in Italy and would love to see some great places in Ireland/Scotland.

Thank you for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ginger
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 11:37 PM

What is the total length of your trip? Do you know what airline you will use?

Only looking at the Scottish bit of the trip.

If time is at a premium, I would fly Ryanair from Dubin to Aberdeen, hire a car and drive to Loch Ness (you understand, _I_ wouldn't do this at all) spend what time you like in the Highlands, then fly Easy jet Inverness to Gatwick and Gatwick to Venice.

What is the purpose of the kilt buying? They are, if for real use, usually made to measure, and they cost a bomb. You can buy second hand, and you can buy cheap and cheerful, but be aware of what you're getting
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 12:02 AM

Given that some of their itinerary is in the north, I'd fly from Belfast to Inverness.

As for your comment about avoiding tourist hot spots - most of what you want to visit ARE tourist hot spots and they'll be busy.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 01:08 AM

You won't be able to drive or train to Scotland from Ireland, there's a big body of water in the way. Fly to whatever bit of Scotland is where you want to spend most of the time.

Loch Ness is a tourist hotspot and although the scenery is very good, it's a bit isolated for other amenities. It will be very busy in July /August in any case. If you are allowing only a couple of nights in Scotland, it will be very tight to get from an airport to that area. How long is your trip?
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 01:42 AM

How much time do you have? The drive from Dingle to Giant's Causeway will take a full day, they are at opposite ends of the island.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am just a bit confused - you seem adamant about avoiding tourist hotspots. Yet every specific place you mention is either a tourist hotspot or a <B>Hotspot</B> on steroids

But that is not necessarily a bad thing -- they are popular because of what they are-- and not to be missed.

How many days is the trip in total?