Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland/Scotland in March worth $200 r/t air?

Sep 20th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Deb

We are trying to take advantage of the low airfare on Aer Lingus, which allows travel to Ireland until 3/31/03. Is it too chilly and rainy in Ireland and Scotland in March? We are concerned that we will get a great deal on air and hotel, but be so disappointed and restricted by the weather that it would make the cost savings irrelevant. Any thoughts on this matter?

Sep 20th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Jo

Make sure you check the blackout dates. There are some in March

Sep 20th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Jennifer

I went to Scotland May a year ago and it was cold then. But... I was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! It rained the entire trip and it was cold but we had a blast and I'm so glad that we went. We went to the Isle of Sky and what ever you do, you need to go there. It is one of the most scenic and beautiful places I have ever seen. It's very remote but the pictures that I have are priceless! Be sure to take Black and White film, it photographs well since it's usually cloudy. Have a wonderful trip and bundle up!!

Sep 20th, 2002, 07:49 AM
adams

We have visited Scotland several times in March and had a wonderful time. Except for the Highland mountains, you will find spring everywhere, green grass, daffodils, flowering trees. The weather will be cool, and be prepared that many sites closed for the winter do not open until Easter.

Sep 20th, 2002, 08:22 AM
jj

DEB,
MY wife and I went to Ireland in Feb. last year. It was great. We were in Dublin and the temp. was like springtime in NYC. We had a little rain, but it never stopped us. The weather is unpredictable, but eveything was beautifull. The grass was turning nice and green, crocus and other early flowers were already up in St. Stephen's Green. My son, and his friends from college, spent spring break there and felt it was fine. In fact they had no rain all week. Three days in Galway, three days in Dublin. Slante!

Sep 20th, 2002, 09:14 AM
bill

Deb:

It will be cool, probably in the 50's and in all likelihood you'll see rain. As they say, people don't go to Ireland (or Scotland) for the sunshine.

Weather is unpredictable at all times in that part of the world. May is supposed to be one of the driest months and last year was exactly the opposite. We had significant rain on about 80% of the days. We still had a great time.

My only suggestion is that you not try to do too much. If you are traveling for two weeks or less, pick only one country. There is so much to see in both countries and they are both spectacular.

The one thing to know is that a pretty good number of tourist sites are closed in the off season so you might not be able to see everything. If there are sites that you are particularly interested in, you may want to check their opening and closing dates.

You mentioned hotel discounts in your message. Be sure to consider staying at B&Bs. They are much more personal, and are as nice as most more costly hotels. I rarely stay in hotels over there.

Bill

Sep 20th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Ann

As the others have said, it will be cool and probably rainy, but not so much that you won't be able to do/see anything.

Also, I checked out those fares, and there's limited availability, and don't forget to factor in $64 in taxes each. So while it's a good deal, it's not spectacular. I've often found fares in the $300 range in February/early March.

Sep 20th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Sheila

Blackout days????

You'll have a great time so long as you don't pack shorts and tee shirts.

If it were me, I'd temporise the great fares withwarm comfy accommodationa nd revel in the feel of places.

If you come to Scotland let me know if I can help

Sep 20th, 2002, 12:10 PM
steve

Went to Ireland in March 2000. Weather was fine (In fact, it was better than the weather we left in Phoenix!!!!).
Had only really one day of rain.

Have only been to Scotland once - In June and it was quite cold then.

Sep 20th, 2002, 01:15 PM
howard jones

I think Scotland is too cold then,especially if you go north.It is a good bit milder in Ireland,snow is rare and people in Dublin for example go on weekend trips to all parts of the country all year round.Scotland is worth visiting in the summer though.

Sep 20th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Barb

The price is right. Now decide how much bad weather you may be willing to put up with. I've been to Dublin and had bad weather but still had a fabulous time. There is nothing better than cozying up to a fire or bellying up to the bar at the local pub for some fine conversation with the locals. Rain or shine, cold or warm I think you will have a fabulous set of memories and extra money to spend on some goodies for friends, family and yourself.