Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Ireland/Poland Trip Spring of 2012
Notices

Ireland/Poland Trip Spring of 2012

Jul 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Ireland/Poland Trip Spring of 2012

My husband and I are interested in going to both Ireland and Poland next year. Probably 5 to 6 days in each country. Is this crazy? It seems to me to be two very different trips. But being the good wife I am, I will follow my husband where he will go. Who want to turn down a trip? I do need some advice from more experienced travelers. I have been to Europe a few times although it has been a few years. I'm thinking of flying into Dublin and planning a drive (a slow drive) around Dublin and as far as I think we can go comfortably. Flying out of Dublin to Krakow. I know the roads in Ireland aren't great so I will take that into account. Poland seems to have better roads so should be easier travel. Any great ideas? Thanks.
Jul 1st, 2011, 12:59 PM

I would not split the trip; choose either Ireland or Poland. It's not about the diversity of the two countries, it's that you won't see much of a country in 5 or 6 days.
Jul 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM

Poland is about the size of New Mexico, which is the fifth-largest state, so it's not small. You can see a lot of Ireland and N. Ireland (gray skies, sheep, green countryside, road-side sweater salespeople; repeat) in 11-12 days because Eire is so small.

You won't see ALL of Poland in 11-12 nights -- that's enough for 2-3 regions in a decent amount of depth. Gdansk with Gdynia/Sopot and a day trip to Malbork is a good 4-night stay (Gdansk is a VERY nice town, with great historical significance and the region has a lot to offer), then a couple of nights in Warsaw or Lodz or Posnan and then about a week in and around Krakow would be a good, if taxing, trip. Poland has large distances between major regions and may be better if you do plane hops between major cities or lots of train rides (Gdansk to Krakow is about 8 hours) between major and minor towns.

Poland is also easier to access if you're in Chicago or would transfer to a transatlantic flight at O'Hare. This is because Chicago is the second-largest Polish city in the world (more ethnic Poles than anyplace but Warsaw) and it actually has Krakow-ORD and Warsaw-ORD flights; otherwise, if you're looking for a transatlantic flight that ends in Poland, your only bet is JFK-Warsaw.

Search this Thread