Ireland - only 5 Nights

Search

Ireland - only 5 Nights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland - only 5 Nights

Heading to Dublin in June but unfortunately only have 5 nights. Our original plan was for longer and we were looking forward to heading west after a couple days in Dublin. The Rock of Cashel, some castles, Moher, Kenmare/Killarney area - they all really excited us. However, not wanting to be running all the time, I'm thinking that it might make more sense to stay in Dublin and take day trips to Newgrange and Glendalough instead and hope we return to Ireland one day in the future. Does that make sense? Will I be settling for "second best"? Am I going to kick myself for not going to some of these spots? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 02:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Does that make sense? <<

Yes

>>Will I be settling for "second best"?<<

Yes, a bit. But there is lots of interest w/i day trip distance of Dublin.

But . . . do you have to spend the time in Dublin? Even if you must arrive/depart through Dublin, you could spend 4-ish days on the west side. Spend the first night in/near Dublin to recover from the jetlag, then pick up a rental car and head west - driving back to DUB to fly out. You couldn't see a LOT on the west side but could get a taste.

So you could do either Dublin and bits on the west/central side of the country - OR - 1 night in Dublin and the rest out west.

Either is a viable plan.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 03:01 PM

There are, of course, several companies that offer day trips to some of the most popular spots in Ireland, although some will make for a long day. Really up to you as to whether to do day trips or head west on your own for a few days.

One recommended tour company www.rabbies.com There are others.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 03:05 PM

I should have mentioned that in addition to day tours, Rabbies also do multi- day tours from Dublin which might be preferable to doing several long day trips..
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 03:07 PM

OOPS! Major typo in my post: should be >>So you could do either Dublin and bits on the <B>EAST</B>/central side of the country - OR - . . . <<
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 03:19 PM

And - yes, Ditto. Rabbies is a great source for one day and multi-day tours. They use small vehicles so the groups are limited to 12-16 passengers.