Guides - Matera

Old Aug 24th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guides - Matera

Matera Guide

I have gone through the past threads. Nadia Garlatti is for most part very popular. I have contacted her but haven't heard back. So I need some other options.

Thanks for all the great help.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 12:07 PM

We have toured with both Nadia and Antonio of Matera Tour Guide (name of company). And preferred Antonio..contact him.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Antonio was great: http://www.materatourguide.it/public/en/
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 07:00 PM
kja

I did not feel a need for a guide in Matera, but then, I generally prefer to work without them and do a lot of advance reading instead.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 11:59 PM

Same as kja. I have an excellent guidebook with sufficient information and an outmapped city walk. That's all I want. Really prefer to do things on our (DH & I) own.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 04:04 AM

Same as kja and Myriam. I did a little research ahead of time (all on line, nothing complicated, there's a ton of information if you just google. Plus there are even a bunch of great you tube videos). Once you get there, there are a few 'museums' that are really informative.

This is from my trip report:

We visited three ‘museums’ in the sassi. The Casa Noha is an unfurnished sassi house that shows a series of videos which did an excellent job of explaining the entire history of Matera, not just the fifty or so years of extreme poverty. It’s right behind the Duomo and we kind of found it by accident but it was the best introduction to the town. Even though I had done some research before the trip, this was by far the best explanation and I highly recommend going here. The video presentation is about half an hour long, the visit is free but they ask for a donation.

http://www.madeinsouthitalytoday.com/city-of-matera.php

We also visited two restored cave houses (there are four or five). L’antica Casa Grotta has an audio presentation, about 10 minutes long, that does a nice job of explaining life in the Sassi houses (1.50€). It’s a cave house with three areas, furnished and includes sculptures of ‘people’ living in the house. It’s across the street from the “Sassi in Miniature” which is essentially a shop that features a carving of the sassi district (free but not terribly interesting). It’s in Saso Barisano.

The other one, Casa Grotta di vico Solitario, in Sasso Caveoso just behind the Chiesa di San Pietro Caveoso, is 2€ and has only an Italian audio but an English handout. Very similar. This one also includes a rock church (no frescos).

The entire trip report is here: (need to scroll halfway down to get to the Matera part) http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ast-puglia.cfm
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. Your responses are really interesting and thought provoking. Many people suggested that a guide in Matera was necessary. So I appreciate the feedback regarding "do it yourself" which we actually do often.

Miriam -

What guidebook are your referring to? And what does DH&I mean?

Isabel -

I will read up on all your info.

Lois and Yorkshire -

Thanks for the alternative name.

More questions to come...
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 09:58 AM

My guidebook won't be of much help to you, it's in Dutch.
DH & I = Dear Husband and myself.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 06:02 PM
kja

For a good guidebook, check your local bookstore or library to see what suits you.
Old Aug 28th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Email Nadia again. I hadn't heard from her and emailed again and heard right back (recently). You never know what could have happened.