Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland/Northern Ireland Itinerary - overly ambitious? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-northern-ireland-itinerary-overly-ambitious-384297/)

sabredude28 Jun 24th, 2008 09:46 AM

Ireland/Northern Ireland Itinerary - overly ambitious?

Just finished a preminary itinerary for Ireland and the North and have no idea if it's too ambitious because of driving and sightseeing times. Hopefully it looks ok to you all. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Day 1 - Arrive in Dublin in morning, get car, drive to Glendalough and tour, drive to Kilkenny and stay the night (castle if still open) (we'll be flying from Brussels after a week in Belgium so hopefully jet lag won't be a big deal)

Day 2 - Kilkenny castle if missed previous day, drive to Waterford Crystal Factory for tour, drive to Cashel and tour the Rock, sleep in Cashel (do Cahir castle n the way if time)

Day 3 - Drive to Blarney castle and tour, drive to Killarney national park for Ladies' view scenic photo ops, drive to Kenmare to tour and stay night

Day 4 - Leave Kenmare and tour Ring of Kerry, skipping part from Killorglin to Killarney and heading up to Dingle, stay in Dingle

Day 5- Tour Dingle peninsula, sleep in Dingle

Day 6- Dingle to Tarbert Ferry, up coast to Cliffs of Moher, then west to the Burren. Sleep in Doolin.

Day 7 -Drive from Doolin to Galway, tour, and sleep

Day 8 -Early start for long drive from Galway to Derry, stopping in Belleek for pottery factory tour, arrive in Derry and tour a bit, sleep

Day 9 - Tour rest of Derry, leave for Dunluce castle in afternoon, tour, sleep in Portrush

Day 10 - Early tour at Bushmill's Distillery, Giant's Causeway, Careek Rope Bridge, continue down to Glenariffe (waterfoot) and see Glenariffe forest park, sleep in glenarriffe.

Day 11 - Drive to Belfast and do black taxi, city hall, crown liquor saloon, sleep

Day 12 - early start south to see Newgrange and Knowth, (Trim castle if time permits), drive to Dublin airport, drop of car, head to dublin, sleep

Days 13 and 14 -Dublin sights (any great pubs to recommend?)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Padraig Jun 24th, 2008 10:01 AM

I'm exhausted just looking at it!

I think it's far too ambitious, and you might enjoy your trip more if you cut about half your programme. I won't suggest what you might cut, because I don't know what your priorities are.

wojazz3 Jun 25th, 2008 11:08 AM

Well, yes it's possible. Beyond that, it's not desireable IMO (I've just got to stop agreeing with Padraig so much).

You basically have nothing but 1 night stays which means repacking and leaving every day. It means you get to a town or village, get a quick overview and then move on. You will have seen much of Ireland. You won't have experienced very much.

Half of what you have sounds about right to me. That said, some people love to travel the way you have proposed. I'm not one of them.

Bill

Padraig Jun 25th, 2008 11:27 AM

wojazz3 wrote: "I've just got to stop agreeing with Padraig so much"

I don't agree with you on that! It is possible that we are right.

Songdoc Jun 25th, 2008 01:54 PM

Well, I agree with BOTH of them. I've done similar trips to the one you described -- and yes, I saw lots and lots of Ireland -- but I was completely exhausted, irritable, and sick of driving. Bear in mind that the driving in many of these areas is far from relaxing. You're having to constantly concentrate as you navigate twisting, narrow roads.

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as when I've had a base for at least 4 or 5 days and got to settle in and know the area.

On my next trip (October) I'll spend four or five days in one cottage (still TBD) in Co. Wicklow; work three days in Dublin; and then, spend five or six days at Limepark (my favorite) on the Antrim Coast.

As opposed to "seeing" the Dingle peninsula, we had a wonderful time staying on the peninsula for five nights (at the wonderful Couminole Cottage) and exploring the little beaches, browsing in town, driving up Connor's Pass, going for long walks, hearing music, and sitting outside to soak up that gorgeous view.

If it were me, I'd pick a maximum of three places as bases -- and really enjoy those areas. But that might not be what's best for you.

But whatever you decide ... ENJOY!

Danna Jun 27th, 2008 05:56 PM

I LOVE the Glenariff Forest Park and it's Waterfall Walk. (Fairies live there)

BUT, if you go there I suggest you stay at the village Cushendall to the north of Glenariff (Waterfoot). It has actual shops and restaurants. We loved the Meadow's B&B on our visit there.