Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland- Need ideas on Dublin hotels that won't break the bank!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in my mid twenties (too old for hostels) and going on a bit of a pub crawl w the girls. We will be in Dublin for three days and were curious if anyone has gotten some great deals on a hotel in Dublin. I'm afraid to offend a B&B owner in case we have late nights.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:05 AM

We stayed at the Jury's Inn and I think it was about 100 euros and right on Parnell off O'Connell in city centre...it was basic but cheap for Dublin.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM

Try the Bewley's Hotels. We stayed at the Ballsbridge property two years ago and it was great. Price is 99 euros per night for all rooms.
http://www.bewleyshotels.com/

We enjoyed ourselves and thought the price was reasonable. There is transport to Dublin City center (bus right outside hotel) and DART about 10 minutes walk.

There are also a couple of other locations nearby, but not in Dublin proper.

SoundDiva
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Jurys Inn Parnell Street is a good central location. Hotels in Temple Bar can be a bit noisy.
There is a Days Inn (Talbot Street) more basic than Jurys but very central.
Temple Bar Hotel is another worth checking.
Keep clear to Best Western O'Connell Street.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:09 AM

I disagree with padhraicin. For girls in their 20's coming back late Parnell st and especially Talbot street are not places I would reccommend walking to late night after a few beers which you will probably end up doing.

Jurys ChristChurch, would be better or try late rooms .com for some deals. Bewleys would be good as well D4 hotels is the old Jurys and berkley court in Ballsbridge and have some good deals. For the same money you can stay in a nicer area than Parnell st and Talbot street. Actually in Smithfirld I have been hearing good things about the Comfort in. Its a 20 ,inute walk to town or a 5 minute tram ride. Good prices as well. It across the square from the Jameson Distillery.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM

I would also recommend Bewleys in Ballsbridge, Jurys is okay also but there are some areas to be avoided in Dublin.

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 03:30 PM

The tricky thing for young women wanting to do a pub crawl is having a safe route back to base.

Dublin is not a particularly dangerous city, but some areas are less safe than others. To keep it simple, would suggest not staying in the north inner city area (which is in line with what SiobhanP has said). But I would include Smithfield in that advice, because you might want to get back to base after public transport services have shut down for the night, and not all routes to get there are good.

The south inner city area is generally easier to manage. And if you are going on the beer, you might become part of the noise problem in the Temple Bar area, so why not be consistent and sleep in the area?

I think that the D4 hotel group is also worth checking out -- bus or walk into the city centre in the day, a short taxi ride at night when the buses are off.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Try Grafton House on Great Georges Street. You'll be about a 2 minute walk to Temple Bar. A number of pubs and dance clubs on Great Georges Street, so there will be plenty of people walking about in the neighborhood late at night when you are coming back from your crawl.

Good location for sightseeing as well - plenty within walking distance (Trinity, Dublin Castle, Grafton Street). Bus from Airport stops right outside door of hotel. Full breakfast included daily in your room rate.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 02:18 PM

I stayed at Wynn's Hotel on Middle Abbey Street just off O'Connell. My decision was because the Airport bus stops on O'Connell about 100m away.

When I went to catch an early Airport Bus there were some Homeless people sleeping on the median at O'Connell St. I don't know how one avoids that
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! You've been a great help! We're so excited
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM

This Cassidy place was nice:

http://www.cassidyshotel.com/
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Russel Court on Harcourt Street was decent but I went with my husband who is 40 and it was really loud at night. There is a club and a beer garden. You might like it as you can return at a reasonable time to a party at your base. Reasonable with full breakfast included.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:42 AM

Safe trip is a priority. So if drinking it's best to return into your own area or accommodation for a night cap (or two!) There's a wide choice of accommodations and most B&B's issue keys and don't mind your late nights. Great deals to be got right now.
Come and enjoy safely!
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Cassidys Hotel We stayed at this hotel both times we have been to Dublin. It is a convenient location. Just a block from the bus top to the airport.

Reviews will tell you to call a taxi and not find one on the street when it is late. Taking a taxi back to the hotel in Dublin is safer than walking because of muggings etc after hours.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM

I'm not certain why you think you are too old for hostels. I am 54 and have been staying in hostels all my life when I visit abroad. Hostels are not just for youth anymore, but for all ages. You might want to reconsider.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
not sure hoffy is still looking/interested. She posted this back in Sept and hasn't been back to fodors in three months
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM

If you are planning to visit Dublin soon you will find that there is a hotel price war in progress.I have heard that some hotels are charging as little as 20 euros but the best offer I have seen is www.d4hotels.com in Ballsbridge which are about half of the price they were last year.If you fancy a really nice hotel in Killiney within walking distance of the homes of Enya and Bono then see www.fitzpatrickcastle.com
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Sandylan wrote: "... the best offer I have seen is www.d4hotels.com in Ballsbridge..."

I mentioned them in this thread some time ago. Their offer has landed them in difficulty, as their manager said on radio yesterday that it applied to all rooms, and was brought back on today to explain why some people were told that there were no rooms available at the offer price, but that rooms were available at higher prices. She tried to weasel out by saying that "all rooms" meant "all rooms included in the offer".