Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

IRELAND: Make reservations ahead of time?

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife and I are leaving for Ireland very soon. We're arriving in Dublin 9/28 and leaving Shannon on 10/7. So far, we only have the hotel booked for Dublin. We are planning on staying at various B&B's along the way to Shannon; going through Wicklow, Kilkenny, Cashel, Waterford, Cork, Killarney, Doolin and Bunratty. Do you think we'll need to make all of our B&B reservations in advance? Or can we call ahead the day before in case our plans change, which I'm sure that they will, as we progress through our trip?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Since this is the off-season you should not have any problem booking a day or two ahead. I do that myself when possible to retain good flexibility in the itinerary.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I would definitely book your final night in Bunratty as well. A lot of the nicer B&B's fill up quickly. I have stayed at Headley Court twice and loved it both times. It is at the end of the High road , down from the Castle. There are a number of nice B&B's on that road, but on my first trip over, they were all booked well ahead of time. I ended up liking Headley Court, so it didn't matter , but it is still a good idea for your last night.

Also , depending on where you will be over the weekend ( Fri 30th & Sat 1st) you may want to book those. If you are in a smaller town, it may not be an issue, but places like Kilkenny can be very busy on weekend nights.

A big part of it comes down to how much time you want to spend looking for places , vs precious sightseeing time. AND how important location & price are to you. If you do decide to 'wing it' - pay attention to what time sunset is. You will want to be in town before that , so that you can find your new B&B in daylight. The streets are not overly well lit there
I personally like to have it all planned out, so that
a) I know exactly where I am going & can get directions ahead of time
b) I can research other reviews of each place
and c) get the best value for my money.

Only you can decide what is most important to you.
Debbie
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 11:45 AM

No need to book ahead .There are plenty of B&B's all over the the towns you are going to.It is more fun to stumble upon a charming property then hunting before dark for one that you have reserved.Just make sure you are in walking distance of the Pubs.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Have not travelled in Ireland recently..but in Europe we usually book first and last nights and wing the rest...do not even bother to book ahead..we usually travel early Fall. I think much depends on your budget. We have some nights when we stay in a really cheap motel or B&B and others when we are in a really fancy hotel. You also have to get on with your travel companion and be ready for anything...but that is part of the fun for us.