Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland- last minute packing tips (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-last-minute-packing-tips-1018036/)

ndaly610 Jun 25th, 2014 08:25 AM

Ireland- last minute packing tips

Hello :)

I leave on July 5th for a week-long trip in Ireland (Dublin through to Limerick via Southern Ireland). I'm hoping for some helpful advice on clothing to pack- I'm just bringing an ebags Motherlode convertible, and I've been checking the weather report for next week to get an idea. It seems to be hovering in the 60's.
*My first question: is it smart to pack shorts with such limited space, or should I stick to jeans/yoga pants/a pair of slacks?
*My second question: I know the voltage used in Ireland is different than in the US, and there are so many options for adapters out there, so is there any particular kind/brand that anyone could suggest for me?

Thanks!
-Nicole

griz_fan Jun 25th, 2014 09:27 AM

for clothes, definitely pack for comfort and make sure you have flexibility in your wardrobe. Layers will be your best bet because the weather can change quickly. plan for rain :)

For electrical adapters, remember that most electronic devices are dual voltage, so you will only need a plug converter. If you're just charging your phone/tablet, camera batteries, etc... a couple of inexpensive plug converters from Amazon should do the trick. If you have several devices, Monster Cable makes a great little travel power strip with 4 outlets. very compact, and surprisingly affordable. That way, one plug adapter can power several devices. Things like hair dryers and curling irons pull a LOT of power, and typically are not dual-voltage. You may be better off just buying these devices in Ireland rather than to try to bring yours from home.

hope that helps, and enjoy your trip :)

Cjar Jun 25th, 2014 06:28 PM

We were just there early June. We travelled with jeans and yoga pants. Layers as suggested are a good idea. We usually wore a tank, t- shirt, cardigan and lightweight jacket which allowed us a lot of flexibility. We also ordered rain jackets, but really never used them. We did have to pull out the umbrella a couple of times.

We bought adapters at Target. These worked fine. They were labelled as uk, Ireland. All of our accommodations had hair dryers usually located in the desk drawers and I purchased a dual voltage flat iron. Your other option is to buy both a voltage converter and plug adapter. As stated above things like camera and phone, ipad chargers are usually dual voltage.

kleeblatt Jun 26th, 2014 12:51 AM

A scarf, a raincoat or windbreaker and a good tourguide book.

A scarf is so easy to pack and quite essential in Ireland.

nytraveler Jun 26th, 2014 04:04 AM

"Hovering in the mid 60s" is about as warm as it gets in Ireland.

I think you will have little use for shorts - but will need a small folding umbrella, tissue weight rain jacket with hood and waterproofed walking shoes (versus sandals).

Would not bring a raincoat - too heavy, big and bulky - and likely too warm.

kleeblatt Jun 26th, 2014 06:54 AM

NYT: I think we have different raincoats.

ndaly610 Jun 26th, 2014 02:14 PM

Thank you for all of your help!
Griz_fan I ordered that power strip and you're right, it was only $10!
Everyone else thanks for the clothing tips- I'll be nixing the shorts and sticking to jeans and yoga pants, with a couple scarves and light outerwear. I definitely feel more prepared :)