COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland Itinerary--Tired Subject But I Need Help! =)

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Harper

Hello Fodorites...
I am planning a trip to Ireland in August. I haven't been to visit since I was a toddler; needless to say, this is the first trip I am responsible for planning! I am spending the first 8 days in Cork City with my family (who live there, so that part is not negotiable). On the ninth day, I will be picking up my boyfriend at Shannon. That night and the next, we are staying at the Ballynahinch Castle Hotel in Recess, Connemara. The next seven nights are up for grabs. Originally, I had planned to drive up the coast to the Inishowen Peninsula, over to the Giant's Causeway, down through Belfast, then leave from Dublin (skipping Kerry, etc., entirely). However, I have been advised that not only would that be a ridiculous undertaking, driving-wise, but that I would miss out on Killarney, etc. So, I'm asking you, whom I trust with my happiness (=))...where should we go after Connemara? We can fly out of whatever city is best, but the pick-up at Shannon and the Ballynahinch are somewhat set in stone. Thanks in advance for your help and for not ignoring "another Ireland question".

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:25 AM
cd

Harper
I would guess that with family there, you will not only visit some great places during the 8 days with them, but they could probably give better advice on what to see as you drive north. Clifden is as far north as we traveled. We loved the Connemara and we loved the Dingle Peninsula. If I were to go back, I would want to do the Aran Islands and Inishowen. You will have a great time no matter what you decide to do!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:35 AM
rudeboy

do a serach for "ireland itinerary"--you'll get a thousand.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Harper

Thank you, CD. We will be getting some tips from my Cork relatives. Unfortunately, though, my boyfriend will not get to see whatever I do in those 8 days, so I am curious as to what is a "must see" itinerary for his time with me (I'm willing to see things twice for his sake).

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Ann

Donegal and the Inishowen Penisula beats the stuffing out of Killarney. The town itself is nothing special. Yes, the scenery around it is lovely, but you have lovely scenery all over Ireland, particularly in Donegal. The Antrim Coast Road (the route you'll be taking from Giant's Causeway to Belfast) is also pretty incredible, too. Don't miss the Carrick-a-Rede Bridge or Dunluce Castle or Bushmill's Distillery.

And your drive is doable, particularly over 8 days. I'm flying into Shannon next week, and staying in Connemara for 4 nights, then driving over to County Down (about 30 minutes south of Belfast). As we'll be going, the drive from Connemara to Belfast is roughly 5 hours, and your route will obviously be much longer, but certainly something that can be done at a leisurely pace over 8 days. BTW, Dublin is about a 2.5 hour drive from Belfast. Newgrange is on the way, and worth a stop.