Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland Itinerary-Realistic? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-itinerary-realistic-834580/)

Summicron Apr 7th, 2010 08:05 AM

Ireland Itinerary-Realistic?

IRELAND 2010 TRIP

Tuesday, June 22, Leave Chicago,

Wed, June 23, 840am, Arrive Dublin. See Dublin, stay one night in Dublin

Thurs June 24, travel to Downpatrick and Belfast, stay in Belfast

Fri June 25, travel to Antrim, Giants Causeway, stay in Sligo

Sat June 26, travel to Galway, see Galway, stay in Galway

Sun June 27, travel to Cliffs of Mohrer, Aran Islands, stay in Shannon

Mon June 28, travel to Bunratty Castle, Blarney Castle, stay in Cork

Tues June 29, travel to Cashel, stay in Kilkenny

Wed, June 30, travel to Wicklow, stay in Dublin

Thurs July 1, Leave Dublin 1035 am direct to Chicago

How does this sound? Two teenagers with us in the car. Too much?

Thanks, Jim

JanisV Apr 7th, 2010 08:24 AM

Wow - I applaud your ambition! First I must say that it's how YOU and your family like to travel that matters most. I much prefer staying at least 2 nights in a place -- moving every night is exhausting.

I really understand the desire to see as much as you can and especially to give that wonderful opportunity to your teens -- lucky ducks! I do think that you may miss out on the wonderful
slower pace of Ireland if you try to pack so much in this one trip.

It's good to know that driving times in Ireland are much slower than here, in terms of how quickly you can get across the country. Even main highways slow as they go through small towns, unlike US interstates that whiz by the periphery. For example, if I recall correctly, Galway to Dublin is about 150 miles, but it takes 4 hours to drive it! We did not believe this when we went -- boy, were we wrong!

If I were you, I would sit with my family and really talk about what you most want to see and do in Ireland. I think your original itinerary will give you many, many hours in a car, but not many hours really exploring and experiencing Ireland.

The best travel tip I can offer you, for wherever you go in the world, is to visit the place as if you are sure you will go back one day. Choose the things you most want to see, take them in fully and slowly, and you'll have wonderful memories for the rest of your life.

Have fun planning and safe travels!

jent103 Apr 7th, 2010 09:57 AM

<i>I think your original itinerary will give you many, many hours in a car, but not many hours really exploring and experiencing Ireland.</i>

Exactly. Every time you move locations, you have to check out, drive somewhere, check in. That takes time. If you plan to stay in b&bs in most places, many will not serve breakfast until 8 or later. So if you take advantage of the breakfasts (and why would you not - you're paying for it!) you won't be able to get a very early start (and that's not even factoring in how your teens deal with early mornings).

You are basically trying to circle an entire country in a week, except leaving out County Kerry, which is one of the most popular areas. Do more research and focus on what you and your family want to see most. Stay at least two nights in most places. A couple of rules of thumb that worked well on my trip: plan to average about 35mph driving (and plan on getting lost!), and take the drive times suggested by viamichelin.com and add 50%.

The biggest specific issues that jump out at me are your Sunday 6/27 and Monday 6/28. On Sunday, that's just a LOT to be packing into one day. You'd only have a little while at the top of the Cliffs before the visitors' centre closes, after an already busy day. On Monday - two castles in one day? Why go all the way to Blarney Castle - just to kiss the stone?

Irishgal127A Apr 7th, 2010 02:32 PM

REVISE!!! Unless you and your family are on National Lampoons Vacation -- you will regret SOO much time in the car -- Ireland is a slow paced country (like others stated) --

Get everyone together -- have each person pick 3 places or things they'd like to do -- then compare -- and go with the top 5 spots - then tailor your time around that -- With your plan - you will spend more time packing and unpacking (which won't be fun)...

I'd also suggest ONE BAG per person - and make sure the car you are getting will HOLD all four bags - (tiny trunks) -- we ended up carrying luggage in the back seat, front seat - awful - never ever again! You don't mention Dingle -- a beautiful site and a lovely spot for a two - day stay --

Good luck -- i look forward to seeing if you revise your plan! If i can help at all - let me know
Jeri

janisj Apr 7th, 2010 07:02 PM

Get a good map - count on 35MPH in most areas (slower in some places) - and recalculate <u>everything</u>. Then cut the distances by about 1/2.

Also try to stay 2 nights in some or most places. When you stop for just one night you really don't see anything in that area since it takes you most of a day to get there and then you leave again the next morning.

chevre Apr 7th, 2010 08:51 PM

I have to join the choir on this one. Cliffs of Moher and Arran Islands in one day? And....driving in Ireland is not fast. There are not major highways like we're used to except around major cities. Their state roads are about as wide as my residental street, so it is slow going as it should be....it is a beautiful place assume you'll go back. Choose a region and really explore it. Unless someone in your party is like a major castle buff really you don't need to see evey single one. I feel the same way about caathedrals but that's just me. Finally you're traveling with family this is good maybe because if you stick with this itinerary be ready for fatigue fueled tension as I suspect it will be high.

If you are highly interested in the Northern Ireland conflict consider spending 3 nights in the north. Personally I'd take out Belfast and add Derry instead. It's smaller and the locals talk about the conflicts from all sides. It's facinating and more accessible to us as tourists than what I found in Belfast. The Antrim Coast is some of the most stunning scenery I've every seen, don't miss it. But do take a good amount of time exploring the Giant's Causeway. Just beyond the causeway is that walking suspension bridge I can never spell or pronounce. Your kids will love it.

Galway deserves 2 nights including one full day for the Arran Islands. You don't mention the Ring of Kerry or Dingle Penninsula. Dingle is a day's drive from Galway and the Cliffs of Moher are an easy stop along the way. The Dingle Penninsula was only trumped in beauty by the Antrim coast for us. Dingle Town is small and friendly. The penninsula though not a long drive has hours of things to see and explore. I would choose between Cork or Kilkenny and for me Cork would win. Exploring the Wicklow Mountains and seeing Powerscourt is a day and what about Dublin? Your teens will really enjoy Dublin particularly the Temple Bar district.

I understand wanting to pack everything in with the cost of travel and the time we have for vacation. I just think that paring down your trip will result in a much more positive experience for all of you. Ireland is a country I kept putting off to visit for years. Now I can't wait to return. It is an amazing country with amazing people. But unlike much of Europe it is a country to see for it's natural beauty and for that you want time to enjoy!

Summicron Apr 8th, 2010 05:50 AM

Thanks everyone, maybe this sounds better.Your thoughts?

IRELAND 2010 TRIP

Tuesday, June 22, Leave Chicago,

Wed, June 23, 840am, Arrive Dublin. See Dublin, stay one night in Dublin

Thurs June 24, travel to Downpatrick and Belfast, stay in Belfast

Fri June 25, travel to Antrim, Giants Causeway, stay in Sligo

Sat June 26, travel to Galway, see Galway, stay in Galway

Sun June 27, travel to Aran Islands, stay in Galway

Mon June 28, travel to Cliffs of Mohrer, Bunratty Castle, stay in Doolin

Tues June 29, travel to Cashel, stay in Kilkenny

Wed, June 30, travel to Dublin, stay in Dublin

Thurs July 1, Leave Dublin 1035 am direct to Chicago

How does this sound? Two teenagers with us in the car. Too much?

Thanks, Jim

Padraig Apr 8th, 2010 08:26 AM

Still too much.

You seem to have fixed on the Giant's Causeway, The Aran Islands, the Cliffs of Moher, and the Rock of Cashel as essential elements in an eight-day trip that starts and finishes in Dublin. I wouldn't do that programme starting here in Ireland and knowing my way around.

The Giant's Causeway is inconveniently distant from your other targets.

jent103 Apr 8th, 2010 11:34 AM

Think of it this way: Every single day has "travel to" listed in it. Every single day you will be in a small car for a few hours (except for your Sunday, where you'll be on a ferry or a plane). Every single day except one, you will have to check out of a b&b, drive somewhere, and find where the next bed you'll sleep in is.

I realize how tempting it is to fit everything you can into a single trip. But you want to enjoy what you do see. You know your kids, obviously, but if my two brothers and I had been on a trip like this when we were teenagers, the unpleasant times would have far outweighed the pleasant times (and we were generally well behaved kids). My suggestion is to have everyone make a prioritized list of what they want to do, and pick three places at most. I'd either focus on Dublin, Belfast and the Giant's Causeway, or Dublin, Galway/Arans and Cashel.

janisj Apr 8th, 2010 11:49 AM

"<i>I'd either focus on Dublin, Belfast and the Giant's Causeway, or Dublin, Galway/Arans and Cashel.</i>"

Jent103's advice is very good --choose the NW bit or the W/SW bit of your plan. Either Dublin/NI -- OR -- Dublin/Galway/west coast/Cashel. You simply don't have enough time to do much more than that.

We're not trying to rain on your parade -- but when we say 35 mph that is being generous. And when you add on all the wonderful places to see enroute and just photo stops -- 50 miles can sometimes be a very long day.

historytraveler Apr 8th, 2010 12:52 PM

A quick note. You have mentioned some of the most well-known places for sightseeing in Ireland. What you should realize is that there is a plethora of other wonderful places to visit. As suggested pick one or two areas that are somewhat close in proximity and discover what else there is to see and do in those places.

Your itinerary would be fine if you had two weeks, but you only have eight days.

GreenDragon Apr 8th, 2010 01:55 PM

Have you looked into flying into, say, Dublin or Belfast, and out of Shannon? That might slow things down a bit.

Again, like the others, I highly recommend against the 'green blur' tour. It does take time to pack, unpack, check in, check out (the hostess might not always be available to check you out when you want to go, she may be prepping breakfast for other guests, etc.), FINDING your B&B (could take some time!), etc.

Exploring, getting lost on purpose or not, enjoying a pint, taking a side trip - these are some of the great joys in Ireland, and you've allowed for none of them. You can't say 'Oh, I love this place, let's stay another night', because you will then not be reasonably positioned for your next night.

How about flying into Dublin, skipping Belfast, and then staying three nights in Galway (you can explore Sligo, Connemara, Aran Islands all from there), three nights in Doolin (you can explore Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, Bunratty, the Burren), a night or two in Kilkenny, and back out through Shannon?

JZADI Apr 8th, 2010 03:27 PM

I'm a bit in the same boat you are, Jim. Coming from Delaware.. I'm taking my 17 year old son for his graduation...doing a week in the U.K. and France...and doing a week in Ireland....and like you, I'm trying to find a way to fit everything I want to do in such a short time...and on a budget. I've so far come to the conclusion that it may be far better to stay based in one or two areas and take day trips..I really believe it cuts down on time and even expense and lets you "take in" Ireland more..as previously stated. I'm ferrying in to Cork from Wales (Swansea)..staying for 3 days/2 nights..taking some really fun sounding and lesser expensive day tours (with Paddywagon tours) to hit major spots of interest around the west/south west...taking a rail to Dublin staying 3 nights ...and visiting the North side ...by day tour and independently by rail (http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables.asp?) ...as well as enjoying all Dublin really has to offer...one night we're planning on staying either in Galway/Doolin or the Aran Islands...but it might be more doable for you. (I had origianlly planned on doing each night in a different area as you are...but got exhausted just thinking about it..lol)

I wish you well and would love to hear about your experiences and how things turn out for you! (Feel free to forward any discoveries you make along the way)

Blessings,
Tracy

Summicron Apr 8th, 2010 04:15 PM

Everybody has had great comments.

GreenDragon's comments are well taken. My oldest son has been to Northern Ireland, and says we have to see it. However, He has also been to Galway, Dingle and wants to see the Aran Islands. He speaks Gaelic, so the west coast would be fun. Maybe forgo Northern Ireland and just head west, 3 days Galway and three near Dingle, then back to Dublin for the plane home.

Jim

jent103 Apr 8th, 2010 05:00 PM

I really loved Dingle, and if your son speaks Gaelic, it would be of particular interest as it's in a Gaeltacht region. I think picking two places outside Dublin is a very good call.

JZADI Apr 8th, 2010 05:25 PM

Jent103...I really wanted to go to Dingle...hearing how beautiful it is...I thought to cut it so we could go to Belfast since my son has developed a keen interest in learning more about the I.R.A. and why there has been division and the history of "the troubles", etc. Do you think Dingle would be of interest to a non-Gaelic speaking teenager?...and could anyone offer any other recommendations for a 17, in addition to the above mentioned interest...is a huge Braveheart fan (and a big fan of history). I'm thinking I should start a new thread..but I've really enjoyed reading everyones input on this one :)

JZADI Apr 8th, 2010 05:29 PM

...and I should really check for grammatical errors before I actually hit the "submit" button...lol

jent103 Apr 8th, 2010 05:39 PM

Well, I don't speak a word of Gaelic and I still loved Dingle. I think it depends on how "entertained" your son needs to be. I think of it mostly as a place to enjoy just beautiful scenery. Dingle is not in the part of Ireland most affected by the conflicts, so I didn't notice anything related to that. We just had one full day and spent it driving the Slea Head loop, which is just gorgeous. You could also take a trip out to Great Blasket Island - I would have liked to do that if we'd had more time. We did visit the Great Blasket Centre, which your son would probably find interesting. You can take boat rides in the harbour too, and there are a couple of beaches at Inch and Ventry. There are a few pubs in town which have music (we went to Murphy's and enjoyed it); I'm not sure of the "rules" on teenagers in pubs, but I know there have been many threads on here about it.

GreenDragon Apr 9th, 2010 05:49 AM

I would say that any trip to Ireland MUST be planned with the attitude that you'll be back some day. There is no way to see all that wonderful, mystical, magical island has to offer in one, two, or even eight weeks. I'm planning my fourth trip there now, and will still have more to see.

If you realize you can't see it all, you'll enjoy what you do see more, knowing there's always more around the corner :)

JanisV Apr 9th, 2010 04:29 PM

I hope you will share your final choices with us, Summicron. I have to say, it's really hard when someone in the family has been to an area before and really wants to show it off to everyone else -- that thickens the plot quite a lot. Best of luck and do enjoy the planning!