ireland itinerary in February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know February weather can be cold and wet and there isn't much daylight....but...we found a great airfare and want to escape the crowds...so we are going! Flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. We will spend two nights in Dublin and two in Galway. We need another location for the middle of our trip. The downside is we love the small towns but know they aren't lively in the winter and few B&B's are open.
Any suggestions? We have done Killarney and Kilkenny already on previous trips. Would Westport be a good option?
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

ttt...anyone?
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Ireland seems to be one of the least posted sites these days. I've been looking, too. Wish I could help but topping for you ( and others).
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Last February I had surprisingly good weather on the Dingle Peninsula. Highs of almost 60 degrees -- and lots of sun! (Rented a wonderful cottage in a spectacular setting from www.Couminole.com)

Then we moved on to a night at Ashford Castle in Cong. It was FABULOUS. They were running mid-week specials that made it affordable. Also spent a night at Dromoland Castle (quite close to Shannon Airport). Enjoyed Dromoland very much -- but Ashford was better. At both castles the grounds are beautiful, the restaurants are incredible, and they are destinations in and of themselves for one or two nights, with walking trails, galleries, and a spa.

By the time we reached Co. Donegal -- it was snowing. The snow made it magical and indescribably beautiful -- but treacherous driving for a day or two.

Another thing to consider is the Antrim Coast in Northern Ireland. (Only about a two hour drive from Dublin.) We were there in February two years ago and fell madly in love with Limepark Cottage that was a wonderful base for exploring that breathtakingly beautiful area. Again, we were very lucky with mostly sunny weather.

Good luck deciding!
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 03:49 AM

I've been to Westport in February and it's fun. Good pubs and friendly people. It's beautiful, and if you have a chance climb Crough Patrick