Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ireland itinerary for honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-itinerary-for-honeymoon-503725/)

pliant Feb 14th, 2005 07:27 AM

ireland itinerary for honeymoon

Hello,
My fiance and I finally have a rough itinerary planned for our honeymoon although we haven't booked anywhere except Anne's Grove Mini Castle so far and we leave in a couple weeks. Hopefully their will still be availability! Just wondering if you could review our itinerary and let us know if its ok or if we are trying to pack to much in.

Day 0 - Mon : day - 5:30pm fly to Ireland
Day 1 - Tues : day - arrive ~ 11am, drive to accomodations in Castletownroche, Blarney Castle
Day 1 - Tues : night - Anne's Grove Mini Castle
Day 2 - Wed : day - Cork, Mizzen head, Fota Island Wildlife Park, Cobh
Day 2 - Wed : night - Anne's Grove Mini Castle
Day 3 - Thurs : day - Cahir Castle, Rock of Cashel, Tipperary
Day 3 - Thurs : night - Anne's Grove Mini Castle
Day 4 - Fri : day - Killarney National Park, Crag Cave, Gap of Dunloe, Ring of Kerry
Day 4 - Fri : night - Gleann Fia Guest House
Day 5 - Sat : day - Dingle, the Gallarus Oratory, Fungie the Dolphin, Brandon Summit
Day 5 - Sat : night - The Shores
Day 6 - Sun : day - find a church to attend, mountain horse back riding
Day 6 - Sun : night - The Shores
Day 7 - Mon : day - O'Brien's Tower, Cliffs of Moher, Lahinch Seaworld, Doonagore Castle, Gus o'conner's pub
Day 7 - Mon : night - Sea View B&B
Day 8 - Tues : day - The Burren, Aran Islands
Day 8 - Tues : night Sea View B&B
Day 9 - Wed : day - Kinappouge Castle, Glin Castle, King John's Castle, Hunt Museum, Limerick Museum, Limerick Art Gallery
Day 9 - Wed : night - Dromoland Castle
Day 10 - Thurs : day - Bunratty Folk Park, Bunraty Castle Party Dinner
Day 10 - Thurs : night - Bunratty Lodge
Day 11 - Fri : day - 10am fly back to Canada

is there anything we should leave out or anything that we we're missing that we should add?

Thanks!

Budman Feb 14th, 2005 07:57 AM

<is there anything we should leave out or anything that we we're missing that we should add?>

Yes, you should add time for yourselves. This is your honeymoon and you are jumping from piller to post, packing and unpacking, and moving all around. When are you going to have time to "honeymoon"? ((a)) ((b))

mealdridge Feb 14th, 2005 08:49 AM

You have too much planned for Day 4. The Gap of Dunloe tour including the boat trip across the lakes will take most of the day. And the Ring of Kerry is an entire day trip also. Unless you're just really into caves, Crag Cave is not all that special.

Day 2 may be a bit much too.

I don't think the Aran Island ferry from Doolin starts up until April. You would have to travel to Galway or Rossaveal to get a ferry.

I'm sure others will have more advice.

Ozarksbill Feb 14th, 2005 08:52 AM

On this Valentine's Day I say have a happy honeymoon (from one married 51 years)!

Well, yes, it does look as though you are covering a lot of ground. Obviously you have made careful plans, mostly in west and south parts. Have been to some places mentioned but don't know details as to accomodations. Ireland is a place for romance...hope you will find some pubs and just relax with the trad music, and find some hikes in Killarney area, and relish some leisurely dinners wherever.
Bill in Misouri

Edward2005 Feb 14th, 2005 09:36 AM

Please don't take offense, but to me it looks like your itinerary is heavy on tourist traps. Bunratty Castle and Blarney Castle are not worth crossing the room to spit on.

Also, you can't really do both the Burren and the Aran Islands in one day. Each requires its own day.

If you're only going to be on the Dingle Peninsula one day, then just skip it. It needs at least two full days (3 is ideal).

Cork is a big industrial town with not a lot of charm to it. It would be like visiting Cleveland. A MUCH better homebase for that part of Ireland is Kinsale, about 20 minutes away.

I recommend a minimum of 2 nights at each stop or you will be freaking exhausted. Regardless, pack light -- I mean REAL light. I mean, one carry-on bag and that's it. You can do any two of the following three things, but not all three:

Travel heavy
Travel cheap
Travel happy.