Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Ireland itinerary Feedback please?
Notices

Ireland itinerary Feedback please?

Apr 12th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Ireland itinerary Feedback please?

My spouse and I see a rare opportunity to drop a long hoped for trip to Ireland into late May. Putting together quickly and hope to get some early feedback. Challenge: Spouse drove Italy 3 weeks, including Amalfi Coast, and would like not to have to "work" this trip. Current tack is to train and bus, and on the fly hire car/drivers to see castles, Cliffs, peninsulas, ring (doable?). Arrive Dublin stay two nights. Train to Cork (spouse's family roots) 2 nights. Train/bus/car to Killarney, 2 nights. One night at Dromoland castle and fly out of Shannon. It will most likely be our only trip to Ireland. Hate to miss what I'm reading about the North, but I think we have to leave it out. That said, are we missing anything that we shouldn't? Will not having a car be a logistical nightmare or is it doable? Thank you in advance.
Apr 12th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Dublin 2 nights fine. Express Bus to Cork or train and 2 nights fine. Bus to Killarney fine.
My problem is Always when folk put a very expensive night in Dromoland on the night they have to check out before the breakfast chef clocks on to be at SNN 3 hours before departure. If you want a Castle night, Dromoland or Ballyseede make that the night before last and just use The Oakwood Arms in Shannon or the Park inn at Shannon airport for the pre departure night.
Apr 12th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tony! Best way to get from Killarney to Dromoland? Will take your great suggestion about booking that night before we leave.
Apr 13th, 2016, 01:00 AM

Getting from Killarney to Limerick is just a bus ride. Dromoland however is another item. There is still a bus stop sitting at the top of the hill but I don't know that any bus's stop there anymore. Closest location would probably be Shannon Airport and a taxi from there to Dromoland would be €25 or €30

I don't think Dromoland have a shuttle but they may have an arrangement with a local taxi company so my suggestion would be to contact them for best advice.

Search this Thread