Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland Itinerary Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-itinerary-advice-616948/)

Stanley_Bostich May 19th, 2006 07:45 PM

Ireland Itinerary Advice

I’ve seen several Fodorites looking for itinerary help and I’d like to join the crowd. My wife and I are first time Ireland travelers and have pieced together the following schedule. I will appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance
Wed., 12-July – Depart Chicago 7:00 PM local time (1:00 AM Dublin time)
Thurs., 13-July – Arrive Dublin, 8:30 AM local time (2:30 AM Chicago time)
Pick up rental and drive to Galway. Explore Galway area.
Stay Oughterard, Fairybridge Cottage.
Fri., 14-July – Explore Connemara area
Stay Oughterard, Fairybridge Cottage
Sat., 15-July – Drive to Dingle seeing The Burren and Cliffs of Moher.
Stay Dingle, Archway Lodge.
Sun., 16-July – Explore Dingle Peninsula
Stay Dingle, Archway Lodge.
Mon. 17-July – Drive to Kenmare via Ring of Kerry and Skellig Ring.
If time allows see Killarney.
Stay near Kenmare, Hazelwood Guesthouse
Tues., 18-July – Drive to Cashel after exploring the Ring of Beara.
Stay near Cashel, Whitevilla bed and breakfast
Wed., 19-July – Drive to Dublin seeing what we can.
Stay Dublin, unknown.
Thurs., 20-July – If I can’t arrange to move my departure day back…
Depart Dublin 2:30 PM local time for Chicago.

Libby123 May 19th, 2006 08:21 PM

Hi, Well, not to be a wet blanket, but you are packing an awful lot in. First, if you don't already have a flight and don't want to see anything around Dublin, why don't you just fly into Shannon? Much closer to Galway. When we stayed in Galway we took a daytrip to Cliffs and Burren and it took most of the day. Really liked Galway by the way. I think Galway to Dingle takes awhile-remember you can generally only make about 40mph on the country roads. When we went, we went from Cashel to Galway, cutting out Dingle because it was too much. Other posters suggest that either Dingle or Ring of Kerry is enough, although obviously I wouldn't know--but, thought I'd mention it.

In case you wanted some other thoughts which might cut down your driving.... We went to Klyemore Abbey from Galway and it was beautiful and a bit off the major tourist route. Also, outside of Dublin is Glendalough and Newgrange, both in some pretty country.

IrishEyes May 19th, 2006 09:03 PM

Stanley,

I strongly agree with Libby that you are covering too much territory too fast. Go to this website and put your trip through it to get an idea of mileage and driving involved: http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/ When the mileage comes up, divide it by 35 to get the most accurate timing for that route.

Your first day is way too much driving especially after a long flight. It will take 4 hours (or more if the traffic is bad) to drive from Dublin Airport to Galway.

May I ask where you are getting your B&B recommendations? There is another B&B site other than Family Homes. Try Town & Country: www.townandcountry.ie

I think there are better B&B choices out there. Also do a search here.

chip May 20th, 2006 05:32 AM

I agree, if you can fly in and out of shannon it would be much better...if not...I would cut out galway

Thurs., 13-July – Dublin-hop on/off tour, pub crawl
Fri., 14-July – pick up car, stop at glendalough or kilkenny castle,or jerpoint abbey, see rock of cashel, stay in cashel (night at bru boru centre)
Sat., 15-July –kenmare-could stop at cahir castle or blarney on way or go to killarney national park then on to kenmare-beautiful drive between killarney and kenmare
Sun., 16-July –see killarney national park on way to dingle- or do part of ROK on way to dingle heading west out of kenmare
Mon. 17-July – slea head loop-dingle
Tues., 18-July – cliffs of moher-doolin
Wed., 19-July – north of dublin-newgrange/knowth, stay north of dublin/close to airport
Thurs., 20-July – "If I can’t arrange to move my departure day back"…
if you can...spend extra day in kenmare or dublin
Depart Dublin

my "not to be missed" -cliffs of moher, Killarney National Park-drive between killarney and kenmare, dingle-slea head loop...
also really liked...glendalough, rock of cashel, newgrange/knowth, dublin-kilmainham jail, jerpoint abbey, muckross house, ross castle

chip May 20th, 2006 05:35 AM

just wanted to add- it is nice not to drive in the evening for dinner and pubs/music...

I would check to see that b&b's are within walking distance to evening activities, you will not want to drive at night, especially after a long day of driving!

Stanley_Bostich May 21st, 2006 06:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I guess I feel somewhat obligated to see Dublin since it is my first trip (maybe last though I know I shoudln't plan it this way). Based on the postings I am strongly considering flying into Shannon and concentrating on the West coast. One problem is I am using awards miles and I'm not sure I can change destination, but I will look into it.

If we start in Shannon on day 1 instead of Dublin, stop between Galway and Dingle (I've seen Doolin mentioned in many posts) and stay an extra night in Kenmare to see the Killarney area, does this sound better?

Can I get some B&B suggestions for Galway, Doolin, Dingle and Kenmare or Killarney?

Keenan May 22nd, 2006 08:49 AM

If you can begin at Shannon, then do that. One option is to begin in Shannon and depart from Dublin. Dublin is a great city, so you won't be disappointed. I would suggest choosing between Dingle or ROK, as you'll be back and can save one for later. Since your staying in Dingle that would be the obvious choice. I'd leave Beara for another time, but definitely a must see. The mistake that most newbies make(me included) is to plan too much and spend too much time in the car. Make a list of must sees, than you can pare it down. You won't be disappointed with any choices. Good luck ps if you will stay in Dublin, book as early as possible.