Reload this Page >

Ireland in November - need suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Bellina

My boyfriend and I are going to Ireland in a week. We're planning on going to the Cliffs of Mohr and the Burren, Dingle, Kinsale and Dublin. The package includes 1st night stay in Limerick and the last at Dromoland Castle. The other 4 nights are our choice. Any suggestions for B&B's in Dingle, Kinsale and Dublin. (Recommendations for 4th town to spend a night?) Also looking for traditional food restaurants and pubs with live music. Thanks!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 12:45 PM
bill

My suggestion is that you are doing WAT too much. Stay in the west, don't go to Dublin. Although I am not a huge fan of Dublin, that is not my reason for not going there. My reason is that 1. It's too far away 2. You couldn't do it justice in the amount of time you'll have. You'd probably be arriving late in the day and have to leave fairly early the next morning which would give you just enough time to say you've been there<BR><BR>You could spend a number of nights in any of the towns you mentioned. From Limerick or Dromoland Castle you can see the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, though you will probably be pretty tired the first day so sightseeing might be a bit hard.<BR><BR>If it were me, I'd probably spend a couple of nights around Dingle and a couple around Kenmare. Still, if you want to go to Kinsale, it is not a terribly long drive. How about two nights in Dingle and one night in Kenmare and then the trip to Kinsale. On the way back to Dromoland you could see Cahir Castle and the Rock of Cashel. I understand the ride though the Glen of Aherlow is spectacular which is near Tipperary (on the way back to Limerick). I'll be going there next spring. <BR><BR>It's important to realize that the daylight is rather short lived in November. In late November, the sun rises after 8:00 and sets a little after 4:00. This allows more time in the pubs.<BR><BR>Most importantly, don't do Dublin on this trip! Way too much driving and with not much time in the city.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Debbie

<BR>I have to agree with Bill. Trying to fit Dublin in on this trip will force you to spend all your time driving. Especially this late in November, with limited daylight. <BR><BR>May I suggest: <BR>Day 1 - Cliffs / Burren - O/N Limerick<BR>Day 2 drive to Killarney - see sights - O/N Killarney<BR>Day 3 Do bus tour of Dingle or Ring O/N Killarney<BR>Day 4 Drive to Kinsale - stop in Blarney? O/N Kinsale<BR>Day 5 see Kinsale ( drive to Waterford Crystal?) O/N Kinsale <BR>Day 6 Cashel &amp; Cahir on way back to Shannon - O/N Dromoland Castle<BR><BR>Days 2 &amp; 3 could be Dingle based too. I firmly believe in limiting 'one-nighters' -- It seems like you are always packing up , no nights to relax, knowing where you are staying that night. <BR><BR>Good Luck - <BR>Debbie

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Krista

You sound like you are doing the Sceptre tour. My husband and I just got back from that on Monday. You will kill yourself driving with that plan. Forget Dublin, you can't make it there and back and see anything in the city. We stayed in Limerick our first night (at the Two Mile Inn), went to Blarney next, then through Waterford and stayed in Kilkenny, to and stayed in Cashel to Ennis (Cliffs of Moher and the Burren), to Dromoland Castle. I honestly wish we had stayed another night in Dromoland! It is gorgeous!! And they have tons to do there. We drove 500 miles which in the US would be a one way weekend trip, but the roads are small most of the time and it takes a lot longer to get anywhere. The Coach House in Clarecastle had really good food and music. Are you using vouchers???? If so make sure you pre-book.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:28 AM
DanB

I just posted this on another thread. Driving in Ireland is not like driving here, especially if you haven't done it before. Don't plan on a lot of night driving. It gets dark early in Nov. It's misty, and the roads are tough to navigate. I always made sure I was back at the hotel by 5 pm. Some will say I'm overreacting, but the driving, in rural roads, at night was harrowing. Took me about a week to get used to driving. I have to hand it to the Ireland drivers, they are gutsy. If you are like me, you'll find yourself driving in the ditch as you see a car (with the side mirror blown off) coming at you really fast, a few inches to the side of you.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Debbie

I totally agree with Dan. <BR>On our 1st trip to Ireland, in Nov 2000, I tried my best to be back at our b&amp;b before dark, and limited any driving at night if I could help it. <BR><BR>Needless to say, on the 2nd night, we were delayed coming back into Galway from Kylemore, and it was totally dark &amp; a bit rainy when we got back. We ended up getting totally turned around, once we were in the city and it took a long time to find our way back to the hotel. <BR>It was very stressful because , street signs there are not like here in the states. They post the names of the streets ON the corner building. Could be on the very edge , or 5 feet in. Could be at eye level or 8 feet up. Every building is different. Try finding the name of a road at night in the rain, going by at 30mph. ugh. <BR><BR>My best advise: Find places that you can walk from at night for dinner/music - so that you can leave the car parked. It will make for a much more relaxed vacation.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Deb

Hi Bellina,<BR>I concur...stay in the West. Dublin is great but leave it for your next trip (there will be one by the way - you are going to love Ireland). Also if you are looking for live music, the West has the more authentic stuff.<BR><BR>I can recommend Heaton's B&amp;B in Dingle Town. We loved the Dingle Peninsula; it is easily worth two nights. We especially enjoyed the Conor Pass and driving around.<BR><BR>I was disappointed with Kinsale...it is pretty but just too touristy in my opinion.<BR><BR>A great drive is the Healy's Pass (on the Beara Peninsula, I believe).<BR><BR>Have a great time. <BR><BR>

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Bellina

Thanks for all your input - I appreciate it. Now on to the weather - I hear its horribly cold - but the temps right now don't look much colder than in New England. Maybe its the wind and the rain - does anyone know how hard it rains in November - is it pouring or drizzling, or just on and off showers?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:35 AM
bill

Bellina:<BR><BR>As always, nobody goes to Ireland for the weather. I traveled once at about the same time you are and it was rainy and fairly cool. My experience is that the rain is not usually downpours, though it can be. You'll get a lot of mist. That said, you can get lucky and have beautiful sunshine. It did not have a heavy jacket and went with sweaters and a medium weight waterproof jacket. Layering seems to be the way, though it won't ever be warm. The temperature rarely drops much below freezing.<BR><BR>Regardless of the weather, you'll have fun.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Ann

Bellina, Ireland doesn't have very extreme temperatures on either end. Every so often it drops below freezing, but this is not a regular occurence. I think it's in the low 40s (F) this week, which is fairly typical for this time of year.<BR><BR>And yes, it does seem colder when it's raining, if you're from New England, you'll think Ireland is practically balmy.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Ann

should read &quot;BUT, if you're from New England...&quot;

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Krista

I just got back from Ireland this week and honestly the weather was better over there than it was at home in Virginia. It was really windy and you would die without a good hat for your sinuses but other than that It was nice. Hehe, I used the wind as an excuse to buy this great mohair and wool hat and matching scarf. =)