Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-in-november-813041/)

emeraldeyes Nov 3rd, 2009 08:29 PM

Ireland in November

My DH and I are flying openjaw into Shannon and out of Dublin. We have a car, and my DH has no problems driving on the other side of the road. This is our second trip to Ireland. We have been pre-booked 2 nights in Ennis, 2 nights in Killarney, and 2 nights in Dublin. We visited Ireland 3 years ago, and it was breathtakingly beautiful. The highlights of that trip: ROK, Dingle, Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Cliffs of Mohr. Last time we did Farmhouse B&B's (which were lovely).

Given that we are pre-booked into hotels in Ennis, Killarney, and Dublin what would all of you helpful and experienced travellers to Ireland recommend for an itinerary? Is November travel going to limit places because they are not open? Thanks so much, I know you all will have suggestions and ideas for me!

emeraldeyes Nov 4th, 2009 05:15 AM

Oh! I really need help! We are leaving on Monday, Nov. 9!
Please!

Foley Nov 5th, 2009 06:49 AM

By pre-booking you have limited yourselves to more or less the same itinerary as last time. If it is possible to change I would go north up the west coast – to Westport and beyond via Linane, louisburg (beautiful drive). However, from where you will be, visit the Beara Peninsula from Killarney, visit Wicklow Mountains from Dublin – Glendalough, etc, visit more of the Burren from Ennis – the days are short so find a pub in Ballyvaughan, Kilfenora, Kinvara etc with good traditional music.

persimmondeb Nov 5th, 2009 07:15 AM

I'm going to second Glendalough, it's lovely. I think a number of things have shorter hours in the winter, but I don't think a lot of tourist stuff isn't open at all.

jent103 Nov 5th, 2009 07:28 AM

So is this correct?

Monday, Nov. 9 - leave, overnight flight to Shannon
Nov. 10 & Nov. 11 - sleep in Ennis
Thursday, Nov. 12 - drive to Killarney, sleep in Killarney
Friday, Nov. 13 - sleep in Killarney
Saturday, Nov. 14 - drive to Dublin, sleep in Dublin
Sunday, Nov. 15 - sleep in Dublin
Monday, Nov. 16 - fly home from Dublin

If that's right, you really only have one full day in each location. The drive from Ennis to Killarney is not a short one; I haven't driven from Killarney to Dublin but I imagine it's not either. (Do you know about the Killimer-Tarbert ferry?) And remember, your days will be short. The Burren is great to do from Ennis, and I like the suggestion of the Beara Peninsula. That fills up most of your days. I do love Glendalough, but that doesn't leave you much time to see anything in Dublin proper, so you'll have to choose which you'd prefer.

historytraveler Nov 5th, 2009 07:34 AM

At this late date, I suggest you purchase a guidebook to take with you which will list sites within the area you'll be traveling as well as opening times etc. Either <I>Footprint Ireland</I> or <I>Lonely Planet Ireland</I> will give you all the information you need to know. They are usually available at most larger bookstores.

www.footprintbooks.com
www.lonelyplanet.com

emeraldeyes Nov 5th, 2009 08:02 AM

Thanks all. Last time we did not pre-book our accommodations, and found B&B's to stay. That was fun. This time we decided to go with the pre-book for a different experience. I do not feel limited to the itinerary as last time, as it was so beautiful, and I knew there would be more to see. I think this time we want to explore Dublin while we are there, after reading the replies. And the next trip will be more northwest coast-thanks for the suggestion. I am going to locate the Lonely Planet-that is one guidebook I do not have!

cambe Nov 5th, 2009 08:02 AM

Hi, as already been said your biggest problem is the shorter hours of daylight. I live in N Ireland ad I have switched the lights on and it is 16.45pm. You might get a little more daylight further south but not much.

Personally I like the Burren best in summer when the wild flowers are out, I find it a bit depressing this time of year.

The journey from Killarney to Dublin will take about 4-5 hours.

I think Glendalough is lovely this time of year but Dublin will be getting very festive which is lovely.

As you have your hotels booked why not just play it by ear and see what the weather is like.

janisj Nov 5th, 2009 03:12 PM

What time of year was your earlier trip? I ask because beautiful scenery will be tougher to find/see in mid November than in say - June or July.

On Nov 15 sunrise/sunset in Dublin = 7:51 AM/4:28 PM leaving 8.5 hours of daylight. But 'daylight' will seem even shorter if it is rainy/cloudy/wintry . . .

emeraldeyes Nov 6th, 2009 09:12 AM

Last time we traveled to Ireland it was April. We live in N.E., and we are used to the shorter and colder November weather. We wanted a peaceful, relaxing trip before all of the craziness of the holidays here, and we are going south for the months of Jan.-April. Then we need some time at home again to be with family. Our granddaughters will be out of school June-September.

It will be dark early, but we like to visit the pubs, and we know from our past visit that we will find warmth, light and welcome!

MaryZ Nov 7th, 2009 10:15 AM

Beautiful scenery is beautiful scenery---doesn't matter what month it is when you see it!

I've been to Ireland in the spring and summer months and also in late November. The season can make for a different kind of trip, but I found November in Ireland to be wonderful. There are fewer tourists, of course, so the Irish have even more time for you than usual. Although the short days may curtail your sightseeing hours, the long nights mean more cozy hours in pubs next to peat fires.

If the lack of a plan doesn't bother you, I'd recommend just getting in the car each day and seeing where the wind blows you. Ireland is a place that's just full of surprises.