Ireland in March

Jan 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Ireland in March

Going to Ireland (Dublin & Galway) for five days in late March. What should I pack to wear? Are jeans appropriate? Long or short sleeves? How warm of a jacket? Any advice on how to dress will be greatly appreciated.
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:43 AM

If I could foresee that, I'd be making millions on lotto

Layers are best IMO.

While you may occasionally get days so warm at noon that you just want to wear a t-shirt, mornings and evenings are usually still chilly. Fleece shirts are good as they don't weigh much.

I find a rain-proof jacket with some insulation (but not for a polar expedition) with hood more useful than an umbrella. The latter gets in the way, and the rain is often more like a mist coming from each direction simultanously.

Even when it's not raining (and I just had 2 weeks of continous dry weather in Ireland), rural roads and paths can be wet and muddy. So don't take your best white trainers (just kidding), but rather comfortable shoes that can handle some dirt. If you plan to stay just in the cities you can somewhat disregard this.

Personally I don't make too much of a fuss about clothing when I go to Ireland. Goretex trainers (the hiking, not the running type), jeans, hoodie, long rain jacket with some insulation.
Some people are anal about jeans getting wet, but unless you are outside for hours hiking, I haven't yet experienced too many (just one or two) downpours that would have soaked jeans in minutes.

There are lots of inexpensive stores in case you mispacked your suitcase, e.g. Penney, Dunnes, TKmaxx, and the usual low-cost chains like H&M etc in the big cities or malls.

Search this Thread