Ireland in June 1999

Feb 16th, 1999, 02:53 PM
Darlene

Ireland in June 1999

My husband and I and another couple are planning a self-drive tour in June. The other couple will have 5 days and we're extending to 10days.After much reading here, Eyewitness and Fodot's Ireland, we will fly in to Shannon. I would like to stay at Baallinalcken Castle Hotel in Lisdoonvarna for two nights. Up to Cavan(our one friend has family from here)and down to Kinkitty Castle for a night the the rest of the time stay at Foley's in Dingle. From Here we could drive out to just meet the people and see whatever we wanted. The other couple would like to play one game of golf and I thought in Lahinch.
How does this sound? I would like any ideas you great travelers have. I love reading your ideas and adventures.

Thanks and you are welcome to email me directly

Darlene

Feb 17th, 1999, 09:54 AM
KRISTA

Darlene,

I don't know anything about the places you are staying, but one place I would recommend is Killarney. If you've never been there you should go. It's a wonderful little town with everything within walking distance. There are also horse-drawn carriage rides, lots of shops, the Laurels Pub,(a sing-a-long, touristy show) and a beautiful cathedral. I saw the golf course in Lahinch and think it would be a beautiful place to play. Plus, the Cliffs of Moher are nearby and definitely must not be missed.

Feb 17th, 1999, 09:56 AM
KRISTA

Darlene,

I don't know anything about the places you are staying, but one place I would recommend is Killarney. If you've never been there you should go. It's a wonderful little town with everything within walking distance. There are also horse-drawn carriage rides, lots of shops, the Laurels Pub,(a sing-a-long, touristy show) and a beautiful cathedral. I saw the golf course in Lahinch and think it would be a beautiful place to play. Plus, the Cliffs of Moher are nearby and definitely must not be missed.

Feb 17th, 1999, 06:20 PM
Laurie

Darlene,
I agree with Krista: see the Cliffs, but go early since the tour buses start showing up at 10 a.m. There are lots of decent B&Bs right around the corner there, too. We were there in Aug without reservations and had no problems; most don't book up until ~7 p.m.
I also suggest driving through the Burrens from there. Fascinating area. I don't have my map (lost), but it was on the way from the Cliffs, past the Caves of Ailwee to the Dingle Peninsula via the ferry at the River Shannon.
Other "don't miss" spots would include the abbey at Muckross Gardens and the road from Kenmare to Glengariff, along Lough Leane. Also the Glengariff-Skibbereen area. Good B&B in Skibbereen is Mont Bretia.
We spent about 5 days driving around the west-to-southeast coast (Cliffs of Moher to Rosslare). You can see a lot of Ireland in 5 days. My suggestion is start early and park early, you'll miss the crowds and meet with the locals.
If you want more info, feel free to email me. Ireland became one of my favorite places on that trip.
--Laurie

Feb 26th, 1999, 10:21 AM
Alan Scott Mikesell

Darlene,
We flew to Shannon last October. I encourage you to contact Sheila
Tiernan at the above e-mail address. She made our first visit to
Ireland a success. The Ashgrove House is only a few miles from Shannon
and was one of the nicest, friendliest B&B places we stayed during our 17
days in Ireland.
Sheila made reservations for the Medieval Banquet at Bunratty Castle for our first night in Ireland. That was a wonderful way to start our vacation. Ashgrove House is a short walk from Bunratty Castle.
Whatever you do, I recommend that you need to start with arrangements to stay at Ashgrove House in Bunratty with Sheila & Frank Tiernan. They both are the best welcome committee for anyone's first visit.
I can give you the web address of B&B picture & data on their home. Be sure to avoid being rushed during your visit. We met many tourist who were not taking the time to enjoy those 40 shades of green, the pub fellowship, and most of all the Irish hospitality. Sheila is an excellent example of that hospitality.

Send me any questions and I will be sure to give you more information.
Alan Scott Mikesell

Mar 2nd, 1999, 05:59 AM
Sydney Brown

Try going further north to Sligo, Leithren (sp?) and Donegal. Ireland is getting crowded, particularly the south. Donegal is beautiful, Sligo has wonderful archeological sites (in Strandhill, Queen Maeve's cairn on a hill overlooking the ocean and Carrowmore where they are still excavating, and Liethren is full of tiny undiscovered villages.