Notices

Ireland in Early May

Old Jan 16th, 2020, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland in Early May

Hi,

I will be in Ireland for the first time in late April/early May with my choir as we are competing in the Cork choral festival. Week one is the official choir tour and the itinerary is set. We are spending one day in Dublin after arriving and then heading to Cork via the Cliffs of Moher on the second day. We have 5 days in Cork much of which is spent doing festival performances, etc. We are heading back to Dublin as a group. I am staying for an extra week afterwards and my friend is coming from England to join me (I'm from Canada). I am interested in history (neolithic and early Christian) and I am an avid (very amateur) photographer. I know I'm not going to see everything I'd like to but I've come up with an itinerary that hits many of them and I think provides lots of photographic opportunities. Was hoping those in the know could review it to ensure it's reasonable/sane. Also, any suggestions on places to stay (we prefer B&B type accomodations) would be welcome.

Thanks!

Day One
- day trip from Dublin to Newgrange/Knowth and Hill of Tara
- afternoon/evening in Dublin

Day Two
- take Old Military Road to Glendalough Monastic Site stopping at scenic and historic points of interest along the way, should arrive midday
- tour the monastic ruins and do the walking trail around the lakes ~10km worth so I expect it to be 3-4 hours with stops to view things
- drive to Kilkenny

Day Three
- visit the Kilkenny design center, maybe Kilkenny castle in the morning
- drive to Sligo stopping at the Rock of Cashel along the way and any points of interest we like

Day Four
- in the morning visit:
- Knocknarea (Queen Maeve's grave)
- Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery
- Carrowkeel Passage Tomb if there's time/interest
- in late afternoon/evening visit Slieve League (supposed to be really beautiful at sunset)

Day Five
- morning drive (~3 hours) to Giant's Causeway
- afternoon/evenig drive to Belfast (~1.5 hours) or to Dublin (~3 hours)

Day Six
(Belfast) - sightseeing during the day in Belfast, drive to Dublin in the evening (~2 hours)
(Dublin) - sightseeing

Day Seven
- fly back home
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 08:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>>We are spending one day in Dublin after arriving and then heading to Cork via the Cliffs of Moher on the second day.<<<

I know it is a tour for the choir but that will be one hellacious day - 6+ hours on a coach. plus maybe a stop at the Cliffs.

Just one quick comment -- it appears you are using some sort of mileage calculator (maybe Google?? ) for your drive times. You need to add a fair amount to each day's drive. A good rule of thumb is add more than 25% to whatever googlemap tells you. Sometimes it literally takes double because of traffic, livestock on the roads, construction, getting stuck behind caravans (travel trailers) .
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree about the drive to Cork day, I wouldn't have planned it that way. I mentioned it so that it was known that I will be seeing them already (in case someone wanted to suggest altering my itinerary to include them.

Yes, driving times are from Google and very rough guidelines. That's why I am asking for a sanity check.🙂