Ireland in April

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 08:00 AM
vicki

Ireland in April

Am thinking about a visit to west coast of Ireland the beginning of April. Does anyone have opinions about visiting that time of year? Are we likely to encounter many places that are not yet open or closed due to Easter? Any info would be appreciated

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Cathy

Vicki,
Remember the tourist season in Ireland starts with St Patrick's Day on March 17th. Most places that close for the winter will be open from then on ie country houses etc that offer accommodation etc. Some may off low season prices - depending on when Easter is of course. Most attractions if not all will be open, what are you interested in seeing. Ireland is not like central Europe where everything closes for holidays - it is very different here. Hope this helps and have a good time planning your holiday.

Cathy

PS Check out www.ireland.travel.ie for further information from the Irish Tourist Board

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 04:48 AM
steve

Spent March 18-27 in Ireland this year. Weather was fine - only rained once of any consequence. Chilly for someone from Arizona, but got by fine with just a long sleeve shirt and light jacket. Easy to find places to stay (except in Dublin), tourist sites not crowded. I certainly would reccomend it

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 10:56 AM
Kris

Vicki - My hisband and I just got back from a week in Ireland in late April. We did all west coast, with a night in Dublin. If you want to see beautiful rural Ireland, get to County Clare. Stay in Doolin, the world center for trad. Irish music. We stayed at the Aran view Hotel, and it was the best value of our entire stay. Cliffs of Moher are less than an hour away, and there are two ancient castles within view of the hotel. Have a great time!

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 12:44 PM
Jane

April's fine--just the schools really shut down for Easter, so there will be more families out on day trips and that sort of thing.

Enjoy yourself, and PLEASE don't wear an Aran sweater while you're there!

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 09:52 PM
Susan

Dear Vicki:
We were in Ireland in late April & early May this year. The weather, especially the 2nd week, was lovely (locals told us it was unusual to have so many sunny days in a row). There was 1 miserable day when we went to Kylemore Abbey in which it was bitterly cold, windy, & quite rainy.
We saw no evidence of anything being closed because it was early in the season.
Ireland is gorgeous & the people are so friendly. You'll love it.