Ireland in 21 days

Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Ireland in 21 days

I have read and reread most of the threads and it seems that with 21 days we should be able to pick no more than 3 or 4 areas to use as a base of operations. We arrive April 24, pick up an auto, and I booked our first night in Greystones and since we have to catch an early flight back to Paris on May 15, I booked a B and B close to airport for May 14. Now the major question: We have visited Dublin and have no plan to visit Northern Ireland. That leaves the rest . I need help to determine where the bases of operation for comfortable touring should be.Ex: for the East: Kilkenny/Waterford area.-For the Southwest: Cork/Killarney area. For the West: Doolin/Dingle area. For the Northwest: Doolin/Dingle area. For the North:Westport/Sligo area.I should be able to average 4 nights in 4 areas, or am I being too optimistic? Originally I planned 3 nights in one place, 2 nights in several other places., etc. Can you wise and experienced travellers make some suggestions, please.
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:34 PM

I know the places I like, but I'm not an expert. I was hoping some of the others would chime in, maybe they will. If not give these two web sites a look:

IrelandExpert by Pat Preston

IrelandYes by Michele Erdvig

Mar 7th, 2007, 04:05 AM

You've got a few threads out on this question, but you haven't provided much info for us to go on. Some background would help: Age, traveling style, Accommodation preferences, Budget info would make it easier to provide USEFUL advice. What are YOUR interests -- Scenic beauty, hiking/walks, ancient sites, castles, food, music, ancestor research?????

There are two schools of thought about traveling in Ireland: Hub and Spoke, or Nesting (3-4 nights in the same place, doing daytrips), OR Migration, where you spend a different night in a different location (always moving on, taking in the sites enroute).
I have done both, but I am not a particular fan of either.
Nesting means packing up and changing bedrooms less often and it lets you get to know an area more in-depth than an 'overnighters', but...
How many times do you want to drive OUT through Moll's Gap AND then, Back through Moll's Gap to return to your accommodation? In April, it still gets dark pretty early and those narrow, winding roads only get MORE narrow and winding after dark.

If I were in your position, I would probably rent three self catering places for one week each in the vicinity of Kilkenny, Killarney and Westport and then, with the money saved from doing that, I would spend 1-2 nights, each week, ON THE ROAD. That would cut down on SOME of the repeat driving, yet cost no more than three week's worthof B&B's.
Overnight destinations would be Kinsale, Bantry or Glenngarriff, Dingle, Doolin or Ballyvaughn and Donegal.

So MUCH to see, and so LITTLE time ...

Bob

Search this Thread