Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland honeymoon ideas please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-honeymoon-ideas-please-1679944/)

Mary300 Apr 15th, 2020 05:35 AM

Ireland honeymoon ideas please

Hi, I hope everyone is safe and well in these challenging times!

I'm wondering if anyone has any great ideas for honeymoon itineraries for Ireland. We got married late last year with the aim of going on a delayed honeymoon (to Spain) this May but obviously that's not going to happen now. This plan will hopefully change now with a delayed honeymoon around Ireland late this year all going well with Covid19. Does anyone have any ideas for where would be nice to go at that time of year (November)? Or should we look at waiting until the weather gets better in Spring /Summer 2021? Would the Ring of Kerry be the best option? We are planning on going away for 2 weeks & we dont want to pack in too much into the two weeks, we'd prefer it to be a relaxing time. Any ideas are more than welcome & thanks in advance!

Mary300 Apr 15th, 2020 07:19 AM

I've been since looking at tour companies for inspiration so been checking these guys out https://www.discoveringireland.com/ireland-honeymoon/, we will probably book our town hotels etc. Would 7 days in Kerry (Dingle, Ring of Kerry incl Killarney and then 7 days in Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Aran Islands be a good split of time?

Jean Apr 15th, 2020 02:58 PM

How late in the month? There aren't many places that far north that would appeal to me in November.

Mary300 Apr 15th, 2020 11:56 PM

To be honest I'm re thinking the November/December part now in hindsight, maybe late Spring 2021 might be a better time to go and maybe a trip around Ring of Kerry & Galway, Connemara etc

SeeDee Apr 16th, 2020 12:43 AM

Mary,
With 65 Irish Novembers under my belt, I would find it difficult to muster up much enthusiasm for a two week holiday at that time of year. Outdoor temperatures make walking/hiking a challenge, combined with very short daylight hours. Indoor activities will be limited with all of the seasonal attractions firmly shut until Easter. Not everything will be closed of course but there probably will be little need for compulsory social distancing, as visitor numbers will be predictably low.

StCirq Apr 16th, 2020 02:22 AM

I wouldn't even begin to contemplate a trip to Europe, if you could even get into it, for about the next two years, never mind Ireland in November.

bdokeefe Apr 16th, 2020 04:28 AM

In spring you get to see baby lambs in the fields and nice flowers. In November, not so much; shorter days and a lot of attractions closed for the season.

Your idea of not moving around and having 2-3 bases to take day trips from is a good one. For the areas it sounds like you're interested in, try and fly in or out from Shannon.

Something like five nights Killarney, five nights Galway, and maybe make it up to Westport for the rest. I think 7 nights (just 2 bases) might get a bit boring...but maybe for a honeymoon, it would be perfect!

Enjoy your trip. Your instincts are correct, not wanting to see everything and having it turn into a 'Green Blur' with more time in the car than out.

girlonthego Apr 16th, 2020 05:32 AM

I would plan for next spring (2021). Killarney was my favorite town to stay in the south. But we did Kilkenny, Killarney, Ennis, and Dublin as our stays and saw parts of the South. We enjoyed every town we stayed in and visited. The Irish people are very friendly and welcoming and you will have a fun honeymoon. Although I did not go to the North, I have heard it is beautiful as well. I wished we had spent more days on the west coast. The scenery was very breathtaking. Sorry you have had to wait so long for your honeymoon!

Macross Apr 16th, 2020 07:14 AM

We have stayed in Dublin in Dec/Jan and Nov but there is much to do there. Belfast is also good for winter. I can go anytime but love history and museums. Spring is my fav time in Ireland and love east Cork and the long days.

Mary300 Apr 21st, 2020 04:46 AM

Thanks so much everyone for replying there are some brilliant tips here! I guess its something we will need to put on the long finger for now with the hope of booking closer to the time in Spring 2021. Thanks again!

Sassafrass Apr 21st, 2020 01:26 PM

Make it late Spring. Even better, make it Summer. November through April in Ireland, weather is dreary, gray, wet, cold; one or all of them. People are wonderful all of the time.