Notices

Ireland help and questions

Apr 21st, 2013, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Ireland help and questions

Hello everyone,
We leave in a little ,ore than a week for Ireland. It's my first trip but my friend went a lot as a child but has not been in 15 years. Here is what we have so far as an itinerary. Any critique of it would be super helpful and suggestions for how to flush it out a bit. Below I have a couple questions:
Day 1:
Arrive in Dublin 5 AM rent a car and drive to Kilkenny. Relax and explore a little and stay in the family house
Day 2:
Make our way to Killarney, stay at earl's court.
Day 3:
Make our way to Dingle, stay at heaton's
Day 4-5:
End up in Doolin and use it as a base for 2 nights. Stay at daly house.
Day 6-8:
Stay in Dublin.

Questions:
Any suggestions of a place to stay in Dublin? Our budget is $150/night but we would like to be in the center.
Advice on who to rent a car from? Would like to get an automatic.
Is earl's court a good choice?
There has been discussion of a horse ride somewhere, any ideas?
And in general what not to miss!
Thanks!
Apr 21st, 2013, 11:06 AM

If you really want/need an automatic, you may already be too late. Automatics have limited availability and are usually SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than manual transmission vehicles.

For horse riding, it's doubtful that you will have the time, in either Killarney or Dingle, but, during your time in Clare, see: http://www.horseriding-ireland.com/index.html

I've not stayed at Earls Court, but suspect that it will be fine. It IS a bit of a hike from town center, though.

Bob
Apr 21st, 2013, 10:03 PM

I'd re-think spending two nights in Doolin. There's nothing there to speak of except 3 pubs which we found were full of bused-in tourists. We much preferred our stays in Kinvara and Corofin for exploring the Burren and County Clare. We also spent some time in Ballyvaughan and it's a nice town.
Apr 22nd, 2013, 06:00 AM

Seems like you may be doing too much in too little time. Driving distances in Ireland can be quite deceptive. Ireland still lacks a good highway system and country roads lacking by passes can be slow often going through town centers and of course complicated by the frequent Irish showers.
So caution on driving to exhaustion and not really taking in the experience of a spiritual mystical land.

Search this Thread