Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-help-427657/)

yup May 2nd, 2004 12:29 PM

Ireland Help

I'm taking my first trip to Ireland with my husband and 14 month old daughter. We'd like to keep it simple but fun. Dublin then the Dingle Peninsula was recommended to me (we have about a week).
Would you recommend something different?
Where should we stay?
Any good ideas for fun things to do/see?
What is the best way to get from one place to the other?
How long should we stay in each place?
Thanks so much - I've read though some of the postings and you are all so helpful!

waffle18 May 3rd, 2004 08:03 AM

yup,

There's *loads* of great info about Dingle and doing stuff with very young kids on this forum. Try typing in the Search space "Dingle" and another with "Kids", "Young children" or "Infants" each time clicking the "Ireland" Subject and all that info will pop up for you asap! (Don't do "Dublin" unless you are looking for a specific sight or place as there are so many discussions about it...)

My advice for getting from place to place is to drive. You can stop when you like, stay as long as you prefer and have no schedule to go by save your own.

It would be helpful to know "When" you will be there for your week in Ireland, too. With only a week, I personally would not go all the way to Dingle and back (unless you could fly out of Shannon instead of having to return to Dublin) as there is plenty to see and do on the east side of Ireland. If it's not too late and your heart is set on the west coast then change your flight to arrive in and depart from Shannon. That is certainly a much more simple plan.

Can't wait to hear how your trip shapes up!

Cheers,

Wendy

[email protected]

one2travel May 3rd, 2004 08:17 AM

I concur with Waffle18; don't try to squeeze too much in since you only have a week and with a little one...

I think you should choose Dingle Peninsula as there is so much to do there. Go to Dingle town, drive through the countryside, see sheep, etc. I think your daughter may have a better time there.

Flying into Shannon is actually a much more pleasant than Dublin. The drive down to Dingle is also enjoyable.

Good luck.

NEDSIRELAND May 3rd, 2004 09:03 AM

Your infant daughter won't remember any of your Ireland trip anyway, so you may as well seek out some events that amuse you and your husband. For example: the last week of May is Ennis' Spring music festival (Traditional Irish music). And early August is Willie Clancy's Irish step dancing classes & competitions near Miltown Malbay (also in County Clare). So, as waffle18 writes: when you will be there is very important.

I'm told that the end of June G.W. Bush will attend an EU meeting in County Kerry but he will stay at Dromoland Castle north of the Shannon estuary (in County Clare) and commute on Marine-1. I would avoid that entire area the last week of June. There will be lots of Protestors. That might make the Dingle peninsula less attractive that week. The Gardai will be 'out in force' in County Kerry and in southwest Clare.

As an alternative I suggest Galway and Connemara (Clifden, Westport)

yup May 4th, 2004 10:04 AM

Thanks so much for the Replys.

I was thinking of going the last week in July - though that's rather arbitrary.

Does everyone concur that I should just go straight to Dingle? I don't have my heart set on any place in Ireland - as I don't know anything about it....where would you go.

Thanks again for the help.

Frank May 4th, 2004 12:04 PM

Just my opinion, but I couldn't imagine going on a first trip to Ireland and not seeing Dublin. We are going on our first trip this Summer and are spending 3 nights in Dublin on our own and than hooking up with a 4 night tour that will take us to see the tourist highlights in the South, Blarney Castle, Killarney, Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle, etc. Just and idea you might consider.

mexicobeachbum May 4th, 2004 02:05 PM

I might drive down south through Waterford and spend a night around Youghal or Ardmore. Ardmore is a pretty little coastal town and a nice place to overnight. It would break up your trip to Dingle some. You could come back to Dublin a day early and at least get to see a little of it. Have a great time!

MaryZ May 4th, 2004 03:12 PM

Yup, you say you don't have your heart set on any particular place in Ireland because you don't know anything about it. So, I'm curious about why you chose to go there. You could make the most out of your week there by reading a little about the country first. Then you'll have your own list of places you'd really like to see.