Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland-Gourmet restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-gourmet-restaurants-386818/)

rankinmorgan Jun 30th, 2008 01:24 PM

Ireland-Gourmet restaurants

We are 2 couples traveling by rental car around mostly Northern Ireland for 2 weeks in July. We'd appreciate any recommendations for really good restaurants in or near the towns we're staying in:
Belfast - 4 nights
Armagh - 1 night
Derry - 3 nights
Portrush - 2 nights
Dublin - 3 nights

yestravel Jun 30th, 2008 01:44 PM

We had a very good meal at the Winding Stair in Dublin.

Padraig Jun 30th, 2008 02:20 PM

You can conduct your own search here: http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/

cambe Jul 1st, 2008 11:40 AM

My favorites in Belfast

www.jamesstreetsouth.co.uk

www.michaeldeane.co.uk/queens.asp

www.mourneseafood.com/belfast.php

www.square-restaurant.com

www.nickswarehouse.co.uk

www.tedfordsrestaurant.com

travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2793836-suwanna_thai_restaurant_belfast-i

Suwanna is a great Thai restaurant - nothing special inside but great food unfortunatly no web site.

Portrush/Bushmills

www.ramorerestaurant.com

www.bushmillsinn.com

Sorry can't help with the other places.

Have a good trip

Helen

jamikins Jul 1st, 2008 11:46 AM

Dublin has some great restaurants:

Pearl Brasserie
Gordon Ramseys restaurant is nearby at the Ritz Carleton
Jacob's Ladder
Bleu
Unicorn
Dax
Hugo's Wine Bar
The Exchange at the Westin

A fun night would be Johnny Fox's pub...the highest pub in Ireland.

longboatkey Jul 1st, 2008 11:55 AM

If you want a REALLY great dining experience in Dublin....L'Ecrivain, on Baggot Street is well worth the time and money. The menu will make you want to go back several times. Excellent wine list, very complete in all wine regions throughout the world. This restaurant is a treasure!

nytraveler Jul 1st, 2008 05:05 PM

We enjoyed Patrick Guilbaud in Dublin - went there twice - once of an event and later on out own. Can;t comment on others.

SiobhanP Jul 3rd, 2008 05:30 AM

Ok I live in Dublin and here are a few picks:

Sunday brunch at the Westin hotel, Westmoreland St - exchange restaurant is fantastic.
Glass of complimentary champagne and great service. Music by a guitarist is lovely. I was there 2 weeks ago and it is great.

I am a big fan of Darwins on Aungier street and the steaks are excellent. Interesting a large and very tasty veggie menu as well.

Shanahans on the green Stunning interior of a georgian house and fun friendly service. Very pricey but has a farm and raises its own angus beef. Get the creamed corn and Onion rings as a side...to die for! Portions huge so starve before you go!

I have not been to Patrick Guillbaud but I have eaten in the hotel at private functions (Very nice) and have friends who have eaten in the rerstaurant say very pricey for little food. It always wins awards though. I think for the money you can do much better.

never been to l'Ecrivan but always great reviews.

In July Richarsd Corrigan is opening Bentlrys on the Green (In the old Brownes restaurant) should be good.

Town Bar and Grill - Excellent reviews and tasted some dishes last year when they participated in Taste of Dublin. Nice place

I like Georges Bistro in the evenings downstairs where they have a piano...not mad on seafood myself but my friends like it and its a fun atmosphere and nice food - S. Frederick St.

Chapter one received its first michelin star this year and is located in Parnell Sq above the writers museum I believe. I have not eaten here but excellent reviews from anyone who has. Also good pre/theatre early bird menu.

Old school/theatre crown would be the Trocadero...not inventive but classics on a lively atmosphere and the bar is lovely for a drink as well. Think red velevt banquettes and good atmosphere inside with STeaks, lamb, shrimp cocktail etc.