Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland for 2 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-for-2-days-1042091/)

HIlby62 Apr 6th, 2015 10:29 AM

Ireland for 2 days

My family of 4 (9 yr old boy, 15 yr old girl and 2 adults) are traveling in Ireland for 2 days. (AirLingus has a better flight deal than American Airlines/British Airways or Delta/Virgin Atlantic.) This is following 14 days based out of London, the kids e travel well and love history. We have been to England many times but never to Ireland. We'll be based out of Dublin. We are lookiing for advice on how best to spend our 2 days.

travelhorizons Apr 6th, 2015 11:02 AM

Dublin is a great city. Within the city, see the old Jail and also see Trinity College/Book of Kells.

North of Dublin is Newgrange, which is quite an interesting archeological sight.

South of Dublin is the Powerscourt area with its famous gardens.

bvlenci Apr 6th, 2015 11:32 AM

What time of year is this visit? Also, is this two full days or is it two nights? In either case, you can't see Ireland in two days, so you'd probably better spend the time in Dublin. Newgrange is a great suggestion, but get there as early as possible. You can't reserve a visit time, so you have to wait for a chance to enter. The later you get there, the longer you'll have to wait, and sometimes they will have no more spaces that day, so the travel time will have been wasted.

The Book of Kells is amazing, but maybe not everyone would be interested in ancient illuminated manuscripts. There are tours of Trinity College led by undergraduates, but I've never taken one; I saw a few in course, and they seemed to be holding the interest of the tourists.

tower Apr 6th, 2015 12:10 PM

Peronally I wouldn't even venture outside of Dublin within that very tight time frame. Do not fret..IMO after several visits to the Emerald Isle is that Dublin is a fascinating city of warm, funny, inteligent population. There are some Dublin-negators on board here...but go on and enjoy what little time you have in the city.

The Book of Kells at Trinity College...beauty in print.
The famous Merrion Square doors of Dublin painted in primary colors...
The Moore Street market...just standby and people watch (people have always asked me why I'm so high on Ireland and Dublin, and my pat, sincere answer is always "the people!" as described above).
The historic GPO (General Post Office and the Gaol (jail)..
The pedestrian street, Grafton ...buskers, street artists, PITA mimes of course...

St. Stephen's Geeen...tranquility in the midst of hustle and bustle.
Afternoon tea at any number of places..my two favorites, the Shelburne elegant hotel (just off the "green"), and the Westbury near Powerscourt mall...
The under-rated Dublin Castle...vey colorful interior in yellow and blue...
Recommend "Stauntons-on-the-Green" for a fair-priced hotel with Irish breakfast (across the street from "The Green")...

An evening at one of the dozens of pubs. We like Lanigans off O'Connell Street, a bit more raucous is Slattery's Pub (once an IRA hangout...dunno abut now) and Kitty O'Shea's a bit out south the center of town. For one of the best in "trad" music, O'Donoghues on Merrion Square!

Temple Bar is the most lively night part of town..plenty of pubs and crowds...not to my personal liking. Oliver St. John Gogarty Pub hs music most every night, though.
The Guinness Brewery tour...
The halfpenny pedestrian bridge...National Museum and National Gallery...
The famous Abbey Theater...
The Sound and Light Show at Trinity College is something the kids may like, you too. Better than most such offerings...
The Irish dancing and humorous show at Jury's Hotel...
Beshoff's Fish and Chips (best in town)..one on O'Connell Street.

You won't have time for all or most of this..so select what you feel you want the kids and your wife to see and do.

Enjoy your two days. Gawd, I wish you had more!

(see Dublin pix below)

flpab Apr 6th, 2015 02:33 PM

There are sightings of seals in Howth Harbour, Dalkey Harbour and they also have a seal sanctuary at Dun Laoghaire Harbour so you can hop on the Dart and visit one of these. Just so your kids can see a little of the sea and coast. The dart train is easy to take.

tower Apr 6th, 2015 03:30 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...Ireland199602#

The first 37 pics are Dublin..the rest are other parts of Ireland and Northern Ireland (and Inishmore).

I have scanned my Ireland pics going back to 1980, '87, '93 and '96. I have a very poignant set of some friends of our family who were recipients of senior citizen home improvement, Government supported. From thatched roof to composition-material roof, from no inside plumbing to indoor water, bathroom and full kitchen, from no power to fully electric 1850 home.

If you want to see I'd be happy to post.

Tony2phones Apr 7th, 2015 01:28 AM

Spend 2 days working out how to half your time in London and get enough time to see some of Ireland.. Dublin is as English a city as you find on the big island.. Fly London to Shannon and see some of the west, a bit of the green rather than the grey and folk who have time to stop an talk rather than rush past on their way to a J walking convention.

Just a thought?

latedaytraveler Apr 7th, 2015 04:24 AM

Hi TOWER,

Thanks for the detailed recap of the many attractions and charms of DUBLIN. Also enjoyed your pics from former trips. I have been to most of those places, particularly fond of Westport and Cliften.

I expect to spend a week in Dublin in June which includes June16, Bloomsday. Staying at the Buswell Hotel between Trinity and St. Stephen's Green so I expect to do a great deal of walking.

Thanks again.

flpab Apr 7th, 2015 04:42 AM

Tower, nice suggestions and pictures. latedaytrveler, glad you are staying at Buswells. Enjoyed that location so much. I have an apartment though for May in the Christ Church area.
I love the museums, think they would enjoy the hop on hop off bus to get the lay of the land.

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart
family ticket for all day 20 euro. How cheap is that? Howth is always our favorite spot to go for lunch.

latedaytraveler Apr 7th, 2015 06:31 AM

Hi FLPAB

"...you are staying at Buswells" So glad you approve. The hotel receives excellent reviews and is within my price point. My elegant cousin (whose daughter went to Trinity) said, "Buswell's an ordinary hotel." Of course, she usually stays at the Westbury.

What are your favorite venues in Dublin. Note - I am not a shopper. I also hope to go to Howth on the Dart. Have you gone in the opposite direction to Dun Laoghaire or Dalky? I had considered going one way on the ferry (if the weather is good) and returning by the Dart.

flpab Apr 7th, 2015 07:56 AM

I am staying on Cow lane by Christ church. They have an artisan's market on Saturdays. I like the shops in that area. I am a big Mark's and Spencer fan for snacks and drinks. Grafton St location, basement level. I have been south to Greystones on the dart and like that village. Howth has the best seafood. I am on a seal hunt this trip. Love seeing them. We are taking a day Trip to Wicklow/Avoca one day on a tour. Not renting car since we are staying in Dublin.

latedaytraveler Apr 7th, 2015 08:18 AM

FLPAB,

Thanks for your suggestions. Is your Wicklow/Avoca tour a full day? I am considering a day tour to Glendalough (been there before) and Kilkenny, a place I have always wanted to see.

http://www.irishdaytours.ie/tour/gle...kilkenny-tour/

I will see how things unfold. My main focus is to be in Dublin for Bloomsday, June 16 - then I leave the next day.

HIlby62 Apr 7th, 2015 09:36 AM

I should have noted, we will be there mid July 2015.

latedaytraveler Apr 7th, 2015 09:52 AM

Hi HLLBY62,

In July Dublin will be busy, but the weather should be good.

Enjoy, no matter how long you stay.

HIlby62 Apr 7th, 2015 09:58 AM

To all, thank you for your suggetions,I will consider them all. We are very much looking forward to connecting with family in England and getting a glimpse of Ireland. It might be our first trip to Ireland but certainly not our last!