Ireland First Timer in need of travel help for family vacation planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m in the beginning stages of planning a family trip to Ireland in April 2010. There will be approximately 6-8 people ranging in ages from 30 to 67. We want to fly out of our home city (or nearby) of Tampa, FL to Amsterdam and stay in Amsterdam 2-3 days. Then we’d like to fly from Amsterdam to Ireland (this itinerary may seem odd but we are trying to make everyone’s dreams comes true). We plan on staying in Ireland for about 5 days and then fly back to Tampa, FL. Plans are very loose and we would appreciate any suggestions as this is our first time to Ireland and MY first time arranging international travel. We have not even decided on an Ireland itinerary yet as research to book the travel is our first hurdle—too many decisions. We want to keep the entire per person price for everything (including food) to $2,000 or under.

MAJOR QUESTIONS:
Should we try to find a local travel agent to handle all these details or would it be more affordable to book this on our own?

IF it would be less expensive to handle travel arrangements on our own should we try to find a package deal that includes air, hotels and excursions all in one package or is it better to book these items separately?

We have four seniors traveling in our group. Would it be better to book a hotel in the same city (i.e. Dublin) for 5 days and simply book day tours out of Dublin or should we look for hotels in various cities?

We have found an air/hotel package on europeandestinations.com for under $1,300 per person. Anyone heard of this site?

Any help is greately appreciated!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM

What is the Irish part of everyone's dream? City/theater/pubs? Broad green landscapes dotted with sheep/rugged coastlines/quaint villages with pubs? I'd suggest two locations at most; who wants to waste time changing locations, packing/repacking, etc?

I admit that big city Dublin appeals to me for only a day or two, but I'm in the 60's range and don't spend a lot of time in the Temple Bar area. So I will spend only 1 out of 16 days on my next trip in Dublin. My 40-something niece will spend 60% of her time in Dublin. You could, however, spend part of the time in Dublin taking a day trips (like Powerscourt/Glendalough or Newgrange)

If you're interested in spending some time outside of Dublin, you may want to fly Amsterdam-Dublin and then depart for the US out of Shannon -- usually there is little (if any) price difference to fly into one and out of the other. Then you could spend three (?) days in Dublin (maybe with time for a day trip since you won't have to recover from jet lag there) and two day further west: Killarney area or Dingle? Or perhaps Galway and environs? Are there willing drivers among the group or will you rely on public transport?
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:07 AM
tod

llindsay - You must get several guide books - give everyone a chance to read up a little and note down what they consider "not to be missed". Then compare notes and make final desicions. I relied on the guide from National Geographic on Ireland & Thomas Cook's "Drive Around Ireland".

We spent the first half of last month (May) driving around the entire country, North & South Ireland. Going in April poses no real problems with accommodation as it's still early season - one draw back is the number in your party. There are hundreds of B&B's everywhere but probably couldn't take 6-8 people all at one place. Some of the he houses are really large and luxurious but I would seriously consider an organised tour in the very short time you have there.

I will post a trip report in the coming weeks.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM
tod

Maybe be you'd like to read this - posted earlier this year.

http://tinyurl.com/d8jhaj
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Tod,
Thanks for your advice. I like your idea of getting everyone's "not to be missed" list. I was doing it all on my own and I agree, input from everyone will help. If you have any further suggestions or any tour groups you might recommend, that would be great!
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Skibumette,
Thanks so much for the feedback! I’m realizing I need to get suggestions from my entire group on what their “Irish dream vacation” would consist of. We are all able to drive but I’m a bit concerned on everyone’s ability to drive on “the other side” and personally don’t feel comfortable with anyone in my party driving. If it’s not too costly, I’d love to leave it up to the experts and have a tour group shuffle us wherever we decide to go. Should I reconsider the self driving? For your next trip, what airline are you using? Do you suggest a tour group for first timers or should we try it on our own?
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM

What about a private tour? There are companies which will supply a driver who will do the itinerary your family wants and then you won't be waiting around for the shoppers in a large tour.

With so many in your group, I might be inclined to stay 5 days in Dublin. Those who wish could go on day trips to the countryside while the others are exploring the city in more detail. Then you could all come together in the eveing to share adventures of the day.

Daytrips to Newgrange, Powerscourt, Glendalough, Kilkenny are possible from Dublin. You can take the DART (train which runs north and sounth from Dublin along the coast) out to Howth, a seaside town close to the city. Or you can go south towards Bray and Greystones.

Most of all I think you should do it on your own rather than with a large tour group. Of course, to me, planning is half the fun so I am a bit biased in my choice.

There are so many possibilities for this visit, that you will want to get everyone's input before you make final decisions. Have lots of meetings ahead of time and make sure that your expectations of each other come from "the same part of the book."
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Besides what you will see, the meetings should cover such things as:

eating out: How to handle paying the bill--separate checks, a kitty out of which the bill is paid, dividing the bill into the number in the party, etc.

Does anyone have any food hates or musts?

Time of eating? Late, early, or doesn't matter.

What time will you get going in the morning?

Bathroom needs if in an apartment--who needs how long to get ready in the morning?

How people feel about splitting up into two or three groups or even going off alone for a day or part of a day.

Some of those little nitty gritties can make or break a trip.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Irishface has some excellent ideas. Again I'm not a Dublin person, so I would hate to commit to the entire time there (even with day trips). If this might be the "one and only" trip to Ireland for some of your folks, I would vote to include a couple of days in the SW or western part of the country. If you are reluctant drivers, you can certainly all take the train to Killarney and have a wonderful two days explorng the area around there. I would hesitate to go the tour group route for the five days -- there's not going to be enough flexibility to meet everyone's desires. With central core areas there should be enough options that everyone can pick and choose what they want to do, then meet up in the evening to share experiences. Good luck planning!!