Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   IRELAND - first time. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-first-time-20229/)

Sanne Jan 6th, 1998 12:02 AM

IRELAND - first time.

I'm planning a 10 - 12 days vacation in Ireland in September and it will be first time I'm there. Planning to stay some days/nights in Dublin and then what? I'm travelling with public transportation, meaning I will be depending on trains and buses, so I'm not really up to using days on transport.Financial it will be on sort of low-budget, meaning clean - cheap B&B. Do you have any recommandations on where to go, what to see? Does anybody know about the Oyster Festival in Galway in September?
Thank you for all information and help given.
Sanne

Tim Walshe Jan 6th, 1998 03:40 AM

Hi Sanne,

You should contact the Irish Tourist Board. They have a very good guide on B&B's and will be able to help you with a 10/12 day itenary. You will find the Bus service will cater to your travel needs with most destinations being with 3/5 hrs journey. The Oyster festival happens in Clarenbridge, just south of Galway city, on the first weekend in September.

regards,

Tim.

David Jan 17th, 1998 02:15 PM

My knowledge of Ireland's public transport is limited, but I can recommend that you take a bus out to the Wicklow area. It's great hiking country and only about 1 hour from Dublin. By all means spend a day at Glendalough - a terific ancient monastic site. Also, visit Powerscourt in Enniskerry. It's quite touristy, but very enjoyable nonetheless. The nearby waterfall is worth seeing. You can hike over to it from Powerscourt.
Enjoy!

Shane Jan 17th, 1998 09:14 PM

My wife and I spent 12 days in Ireland this September. We had a car, however I'll tell you about some highlights.
Dublin is fantastic and I would spend a couple of days walking around enjoying the numerous Pubs and historical sights. Don't miss the Book of Kels and the main street which is a mall, I thinks it's called Grafton street, not sure. However the places that were standouts to us are the following... The Ring of Kerry and Dingle.. spectacular coastline and below Cork is Kinsale which is the gourmet capital of Ireland. Then head up the west coast to Doolan and see the cliffs of Mohr..enormous cliffs some 700ft high. Oh! I forgot to mention Blarney in the SouthWest... go and kiss the Blarney stone fairly scary. There are many other interesting places in Ireland but the overall feeel is friendly and social, be sure to eat all meals in the pubs. You could if interested head up to the boarder of Nrthern Ireland and for interest sake see one of the boarder stations..... quite amazing.

Kathy Jan 19th, 1998 03:56 PM

I was in Ireland for 8days in Oct 97. We were in Dublin 4days and stayed at Kilronan House (in Fodors) it was very nice 75.00 IR abt 115.00 usd inc full brkfast. I was a little walk 15 min frm temple bar area but a lot of things to see on the way. Kilmanianham Gaol is worth the trip.Rent the movie Michael Collins before you go. Also Glendologh is worth the trip.
We then went to Kilkenny by train (no problem getting schedule and info) The castle is great and there are lots of good shops and pubs Kytelers is good. We stayed at Butler house and had a view of the castle very nice. We also went to Cork by bus again no problem getting sched and info for that.( Cork was OK) but we took a train to Cobh and that was well worth the trip. The Queenstown story is quite moving all about the immigrants and Titanic info as this was the last place the Titanic dept. from We didn't get west of that but I hear it is really great. Galway and the ring of Kerry is supposed to be something.