Ireland/Dublin Trip Advice!

Dec 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Ireland/Dublin Trip Advice!

Hi Everyone!

My fiancé and I will be in Ireland over New Years for around 5 days. It is a short trip, but we got a great deal and will be staying in Dublin the entire time. I have traveled extensively in Ireland but my fiancé has not. I would really like him to see something besides Dublin and have him see the beauty of the countryside.

Any advice or suggestions on day trips? We will not have a car and will have to rely on public transportation and don't want to spend too much money doing so.

Any advice you can give would be most appreciated! THANK YOU!
Dec 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Check this LONG, old thread for ideas:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...te-of-time.cfm

Bob
Dec 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Mu husband and I took a day trip to Kilkenny and really enjoyed it. There is direct train service from Dublin-it takes about 2 hours to get there.
Dec 12th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Looks like you have some good advice in a previous 2005 posting which I revisited. Also see the Dublin websites listed. I am one who thinks there is lots to see and do in Dublin according to interests. I recommend theatre productions, e.g. at Abbey and Gate. Just enjoying pub music for one thing and for another strolling in the streets. Also think a trip south to Glendalough and Wicklow Mnts and a trip north to Knowth/Newgrange and Tara is worthwhile.

Ozarksbill [email protected]
Dec 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Don't know what they cost but there are day bus tours from Dublin to the Giant's Causeway and the Antrim Coast in N. Ireland. That area's gorgeous. But I agree with the above poster--lots to do in Dublin and day trips to Glendalough, Powerscourt, and Newgrange.
Dec 15th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the advice!

One more question. Can you recommend any classic Irish restaurants in Dublin? Which are your favorites?