Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland/Dublin/Dingle (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-dublin-dingle-13085/)

John Feb 11th, 1997 06:05 PM

Ireland/Dublin/Dingle

We (Myself, My Wife and recently our 22 month old daughter Julia) are annual travelers to Ireland...
We STAY AWAY FROM DUBLIN, just because that's the kind of folks we are, not because Dublin's a bad place.
The key factor in "What to See" is "When You Go!"
If yopu'll let me know when you think is the most likely Month you might go, I'll be gald to make several recommendations for sites to see and B&B's
from Southwest/SouthCentral Ireland to Donegal.
We're going again in late April (long days don't get dark until late in the evening ) and I'd be glad to provide a "trip report" when we return.

Regards

Dennis Feb 15th, 1997 09:15 AM

I personally feel you get more out of an Ireland trip by driving yourself. You set your own pace and meet the PEOPLE. I'd take a break at some wayside and spend an hour talking with the shopkeeper & locals and having a great time (craic). Maybe you'll see more with tours and don't have to make all the arrangements, but you're on THEIR timetable.
Can't speak from personal experience yet about Dublin (same type as John {jfdavin}) or Dingle (will be working that region this year).
For sites and places, John pretty much nailed it: some places don't open until June.
I'll e-mail you some of my experiences up to now (Shannon area to Donegal).

Bob Mar 5th, 1997 10:52 PM

My friend and i will be travelling to Dublin on Apr.
7th from london and staying till the 10th. She is
already abroad and i am coming in from the states.
She has looked in to accomodations, and it seems
there is a convention of sorts going on in Dublin
whilst we're there, thus making room space limited
and costly($140.00 a night american)Could you
suggest a place that might be more economical? Bob

Alice Mar 17th, 1997 05:36 PM

We spent 6 wonderful days in October traveling on our own in a rented car in Ireland. We spent 3 nights outside of Shannon in a castle, complete with golf course called Adare Manor--wow! We also highly reccommend a partcularly wonderful bed n breakfast in Kinsale called the Presbytery. it was perfect and the town itself just a dream. Feel free to e-mail me for more info.

Martha Mar 31st, 1997 01:28 PM

Alice,
I will be travelling with my boyfriend to Ireland early in June. We plan on renting
a car and touring around the countryside. Could you please give me the
name of the hotel/castle outside of Shannon that you stayed at, and approximately
the cost of the room? It sounded wonderful.
Many thanks in advance.
Regards, Martha

lisa Apr 16th, 1997 07:39 PM

visited Dingle this past August. It was glorious.We stayed at the Greenmont House B&B close to the town center and would highly recommend it. Plan to spend at least 2 nights-you'll never get bored here. O'Flaherty's is a great place to hear Irish traditional music, and watch for Eoin Duignan, a local uilleann piper, singer, etc. who plays often at a pub called the small bridge (the name outside the pub is in Irish, ask). Slea Head drive is everything they say it is in the tour books-a little tricky in the fog. (another reason to stay several nights). Have fun. Slainte!
PS If you're flying out of Shannon on your return, the best town to spend your final night is Ennis. Eat at Cruise's.

DianeG. Apr 19th, 1997 07:25 AM

Hello, I hope you have a great trip. I wouldn't spend more than a day or two in Dublin. It's fine, but there is so much else to see once you leave there! When in Dublin, see Trinity College and the Book of Kells. You should rent a car for the rest of the trip. Also, purchase the Cadogan's guide, which is helpful and gives history. We did eight days of driving: Dublin to Gorey (where we stayed at the phantasmagorical Marlfield House with wonderful restaurant). From there, we visited The Tintern Abbey and also Glendalough. Then, we drove to Waterford, stayed at the Castle there...overrated, but stop at Kilmore Quay on while there, and also the Augustinian friary in downtown Waterford. Off to Cork. The do the Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula. Up to Mallow, stay at the wonderful Asolas house, again, with outstanding restaurant. Drive up to Adare, have dinner your last evening at the Mustard Seed, and fly out of Shannon home. You'll be very, very happy I hope!!

Sandy Burns Apr 19th, 1997 08:25 AM

I've been to Ireland several times and am on my way back this summer. I think that the way to truly enjoy Ireland is to not move around too much and really get to know the people. They are the real charm of Ireland. I was there 2 years ago with a friend for two weeks. The first village we stopped at we ended up staying at for the entire two weeks even though we'd only planned a day there. We were just kind of adopted by the village. Most of the smaller towns and villages, at least on the west coast, are like that.

David Felder May 19th, 1997 10:44 AM

My wife and I just got back from 2 weeks in Ireland. My suggestion is to book a car rental (intermediate size/automatic) before you go and see the country by car. It really is the only way. I also stayed at Greenmount House in Dingle and would highly recommend it. Drive the Dingle Peninsula clockwise and be sure to incorporate Slea Head and the Connor Pass. I would also suggest using Killarney as a touring base for the Ring of Kerry (tour counterclockwise), the Lakes of Killarney, and Blarney Castle. Kathleen's Country House in Killarney is one of the best places in the area to stay. Check out the Web sites for Bord Failte and Lonely Planet-Destination: IRELAND for more info. If you're heading toward Dublin, definitely check out Glendalough...If you fly out of Dublin, you might want to stay at Belcamp Hutchinson B&B near Malihide. It's near the airport, Malihide Castle, and the pretty little fishing village of Howth. Enjoy!

Richard Hardy May 22nd, 1997 10:52 AM

If you do go to Dublin (and we have not been there for a few years) the best restaurant we found was called White's On the Green. For the best food in Ireland (and a great place to stay, too) go to Ballymaloe House near Cork. A converted castle, they have lovely rooms and a world famous restaurant and cooking school. Drive the Ring of Kerry - but take your time! See Waterford crystal works. Go to Cashel and see the Rock where Irish kings were crowned. Spent time in pubs; the Irish are the most friendly you are likely to meet. Great music in most pubs, too. Near Shannon, another great (but expensive) place to stay is Dromoland Castle. It's a hell of a way to spend your last night in Ireland! Enjoy,

Judi Jun 1st, 1997 10:28 AM

I started putting this together for a friend, it
might interest you. By the way Dublin is a bit scary.
AER LINGUS FLIGHTS LEAVE AT NIGHT FROM BOSTON AND ARRIVE SHANNON OR DUBLIN IN THE EARLY AM THE NEXT DAY; SO IT IS 7 AM IN SHANNON/DUBLIN, BUT 2 AM TO OUR BODIES. SINCE WE ARE TO EXCITED TO SLEEP ON THE PLANE, WE HAVE ALWAYS FOUND THAT AFTER ARRIVING AT THE HOTEL A TWO HOUR NAP 12-2 WAS VERY REFRESHING AND ALLOWED US TO HAVE THE ENERGY (AND PERSONALITY) TO HAVE FUN ALL AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SO NOW YOU ARE SAYING "WHAT DO YOU DO FROM ARRIVAL TIME 7am APPROX. UNTIL CHECK IN TIME 11/12"? THIS IS THE REASON WHY, ON THE 1ST NIGHT, WE NEVER STAY IN THE CITY WE ARRIVE IN. WE USE THE FOUR OR FIVE HOURS TO SIGHT SEE ON THE WAY TO OUR FIRST DESTINATION.

I'VE LISTED AREAS OF INTEREST IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER SINCE YOU WILL MOST LIKELY FOLLOW YOUR OWN WIND.

BREAKFAST IS ALWAYS INCLUDED IN AN IRISH ACCOMODATION. ALL THE YEARS I'VE GONE, ONLY ONE HOTEL DID NOT HAVE BREAKFAST INCLUDED. ALSO, IF YOU STAY IN A HOTEL YOU CAN STAY UP ALL NIGHT DRINKING/EATING BECAUSE IRISH SHUT DOWN LAWS OF 11pm DO NOT AFFECT HOTELS. YOU ARE CONSIDERED A RESIDENT AS IF YOU LIVE IN HOTEL. HOTEL'S NIGHT MANAGER WILL SERVE ALL NIGHT EITHER IN LOBBY OR BAR.

GOLF EVERYWHERE. BEAUTIFUL ONE IS BALLYBUNION ON THE WEST COAST AND KILLARNEY CLUB OBVIOUSLY IN KILLARNEY. FISHING IS EVERYWHERE. SO ARE TINKERS IN THEIR COLORFUL, HORSE DRAWN, WOOD WAGONS; BEWARE
OF CONVERSATION THESE NOMADS ARE KNOWN TO BE BEGGERS/THIEVES.

I'VE PUT APPROXIMATE TIME INVOLVED FOR A GOOD 'TAKE IN' OF AREA. THE HOTELS RECOMMENDED I'VE STAYED IN PERSONALLY. B&Bs ARE EVERYWHERE AND A CALL TO THE IRISH CONSULATE IN BOSTON WILL GET YOU A GUIDE.

COUNTY GALWAY:
GALWAY CITY & GALWAY BAY:
CLADDAGH INVENTED HERE
STAY: SALTHILL HOTEL OR RENVYLE INN BOTH ON THE BAY.
B&Bs ARE PLENTIFUL ALONG THE ROAD INTO GALWAY.
SEE: GALWAY CRYSTAL FACILITY (1+ HRS)
RIDE THRU CONNEMARA - it is like miles of rock garden, so stark yet Beautiful!! If you ride as far as Mam Cross see Quiet Man (Replica) House/Gift Shop- it is no big thing, just nice-to-do if you like old movies. At least at the end of a nice ride there is a fireplaced pub. (1/2 day)
KYLEMORE ABBEY (CONNEMARA)- the road to it was a tunnel of wild rodedendrum ( 1to1 1/2hour)
CATHEDRALS ARE GREAT (1+ HRS)
GREAT SHOPPING (1/2 day)
ARAN ISLANDS - best wool in the world is Irish Aran wool - Irish speaking area, even when the speak English it sounds Irish! (2+ HRS)

CLARE COUNTY:
CLIFFS OF MOHER - a must see for the 1st timer !! (drive from Galway and the cliffs 1/2 day)
FERRY ACROSS THE SHANNON - fun in bad weather, bestway from Galway-Cliffs
KERRY COUNTY:
A DRIVE AROUND THE FAMOUS "RING OF KERRY" WILL PUT GREY IN YOUR HAIR, BUT IS A MUST FOR THE 1ST TIMER!! SPECTACULAR VIEWS. IF FAINT OF HEART OR INEXPERIENCED IN 'OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD' DRIVING, DO NOT DO THE DRIVING. (2-3 HOURS)

1. DINGLE:
STAY: BENNERS - it is haunted; Tom Cruise & celebs have stayed here. There is a hotel on your left on the way into town that is nice..cannot remember name.
WALK AROUND - old seaport town, very artsy with great food and night entertainment-local Irish players/singers, at the tip of Dingle peninsula there is a golf course. If you approach from the West side and cut across to main town, the views are great..
2. KILLARNEY:
STAY: ROSS HOTEL OR THREE LAKES - we like the Ross, old, great lounge, very central. B&Bs line the access roads
SEE: ANCIENT STONE CIRCLE (1+ HRS); TRAVEL THE RING OF KERRY (2-3 HRS); SHOPS (Quills not Blarney Woolen the one in Blarney is better); JAUNTING CART RIDES (1-1 1/2 HRS) must do for 1st timer lovely - right outside Ross; PUBS with Irish entertainment.

COUNTY CORK:
1. BLARNEY:
STAY: CHRISTIE'S HOTEL, is part of an ancient bldg that is also Blarney Woolen, the most fantastic restaurant for dinner right of the lobby of hotel.
B&B'S, SM HOTELS, INNS around the square and access roads
SEE: BLARNEY WOOLEN MILLS-my friends and I shop for an hour, then go into
Christie's Pub have a Bailey's and coffee decide what we want and then go back into the Woolen Mill and buy, then back to the Pub!!! So the Woolen Mill is a full 1/2 day experience every time.
BLARNEY CASTLE & KISS THE STONE - do not do this if it is raining, the stairs in the castle are deadly, not for anyone short
of breath, afraid of high places. Walk around the property, there are caves and
streams. (2 HRS).
Muckrose Pub has Irish music upstairs. If staying up late in Blarney, Fat Jack's
has very good fast food/pizza late at night.
Horgan's gift shop may give you a better price on some things.

2. KINSALE: (1/2 day TO full Day)
STAY: BLUE HAVEN (expensive) if you don't stay here eat here; MANY SMALL HOTELS/INNS; I DID NOT NOTE WHERE B&BS WERE
SEE: THIS IS THE GOURMET CAPITOL OF IRELAND; lovely seaport with artsy shops and great food.

3. CORK CITY: (2 HRS TO1/2 Day, unless festival)
STAY: IN BLARNEY or KINSALE
SEE: LOTS OF FESTIVALS; TRINITY COLLEGE; GREAT SHOPPING in non-tourist type shops off main drag. Great Pubs.

4. COHB: (3 HRS)
THIS IS THE PORT THE IMMIGRANTS SAILED OUT OF.
CULTURAL CENTER , walk thru museum portraying the story of why/how immigrants left ireland and of the dangers of the journey. Not the greatest take in, but
covers the history. In the little gift shop, you can pick up free info on tracing your roots.

THE CATHEDRAL OF COHB, is on a hill and is a beauty--must visit . This was the last thing immigrants saw of Ireland when they sailed out of Cohb.

ACROSS FROM THE ENTRANCE TO THE 'CULTURAL CENTER' IS A DOWNSTAIRS PUB AND RESTAURANT ON THE WATER THAT IS ADORABLE AND COMFORTABLE.

Zac Jun 8th, 1997 03:31 PM

I'm a member of the University of Arkansas Razorback Marching Band and we spent St. Patrick's Day in Ireland this past March. I'd recommend the Burlington Hotel in Dublin--don't really know the price, but it was excellent! In Dublin, be sure to do some shopping on Grafton Street. There is also a great restaurant there called Captain America's if you are in a younger age group. It's quite a lot like Chili's here in the states, but with an Irish flare! A tour of the Guiness factory is in order as well as a visit to St. Patrick's Cathedral. Trinity College is also a nice place to visit--there you can see the Book of Kells which is exquisite! Have fun and Bon Voyage!

mike Jun 26th, 1997 07:42 AM

when you go to dingle go town, where you will hear talk about Fungi, the dolphin. you go on a boat and they take you out to see this wild dolphin that always goes right up to the boats. its a thrill.