Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland Dingle to Kenmare ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-dingle-to-kenmare-794603/)

Aprilolaw Jul 9th, 2009 08:03 AM

Ireland Dingle to Kenmare ?

After spending 2 nights in Dingle, we have 2 nights left
before departing from Shannon. Would we still have
time to drive (rental car) the Ring of Kerry, stay at Kenmare one
night and maybe to Killarney, or closer to Shannon
for our last night? Is there a ferry from Dingle?
Would love some help or ideas!

Viajero2 Jul 9th, 2009 08:35 AM

Where are you staying before Dingle? What time of the year? I ask because you want to avoid a lot of criss-crossing; driving in Ireland is nowhere near as simple as it may look....That said, if I had two days and I were in that region I would not want to miss ROK nor Kenmare. That said it is a long drive Kenmare-Shannon, but hey if you are willing to do it, then do not miss these places.

Aprilolaw Jul 9th, 2009 11:55 AM

Hi, Thanks for your reply and opinion.
I've had help and pretty well figured out our first part. We land in Shannon, go to Ballyvaughan for 2 nites, Westport 1 nite, Letterkenny,Donegal for 3 nites (this is scheduled because of family).
Then Galway 1 nite
Dingle 2 nites
and the last 2 nites are the ones I wrote about.
We've tried not to make it a lot of driving, but some of it just can't be avoided. What do you think?

Aprilolaw Jul 9th, 2009 11:59 AM

Actually, we have 3 nites after Dingle! That might work better for us...suggestions?

Viajero2 Jul 9th, 2009 04:18 PM

I think heading out towards Kenmare via ROK and then up to Killarney should fill thosen 3 days very nicely. Do that.

jent103 Jul 9th, 2009 05:10 PM

Yep. If your flight from Shannon is in the morning, I would recommend staying fairly close by - Ennis works really well, though others stay in Bunratty or other towns too.

sheri_lp Jul 9th, 2009 05:13 PM

OR you could use your 2nd day in Dingle to drive the Peninsula (instead of the ROK). So, when you leave Dingle, you won't be racing the clock, and you can enjoy the drive through Killarney National Park, and have more time in Kenmare. Your 2nd day in Kenmare can be a relaxing day before your last drive back to Shannon.

Viajero2 Jul 10th, 2009 08:27 AM

I think the OP said she will be spending 2 days in Dingle, so she ALREADY set aside a day for the Peninsula ....right?

Aprilolaw Jul 10th, 2009 09:21 AM

Thanks all. Yes,we do plan to drive the Peninsula(btw, how long should we expect this to take?most of a day?)
Also heard there is a 1.5 hr cruise w. traditional music, anyone know of it? Sounds new this summer.
SO, would be nice to have some relaxing days at the end..
don't know what to plan, ROK or Nat Park?

sheri_lp Jul 10th, 2009 07:41 PM

Oops sorry missed that - to do both is too much time in the car. The Peninsula drive can take most the day - there's a cool museum/shop, and you want to have lunch somewhere and walk up the hill to see the stone structures and not just race round the thing.

hopingtotravel Jul 13th, 2009 09:14 AM

If I recall accepted wisdom, one doesn't have to drive around the ENTIRE ROK to get the feel for it. The section between Kenmare and Killarney has the scenic lakes.