Ireland Dingle suggestions, Blarney, Wexford trip route suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUr family of 4 including our 2 teenagers 13, 15 are going to Ireland for Easter, Here is our tentative trip route:
Fly to Dublin (flights were cheaper than Shannon from our home in Stuttgart)
Kilkenny 1 night
Bunratty 2 nights
Dingle 2 nights
Blarney 1 night
Wexford 1 night
return to Dublin fly home total trip 7 days
We have already been to Dublin once so that is why we are only going in and out of Dublin. Kilkenny and Bunratty BallyVaughan areas seem to have alot to do there. Several people have suggested Dingle but if the weather is bad is there alot to see there with two teenagers??? Any other suggestions of tips on our route about things to see or places to stay would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 10:32 PM

We had 2 days in Dingle last August; one good weather day and one bad. For the bad we went to the Aquarium (with kids 12 & 9). It was a decent fall back plan but not something I'd set out to do. The good day was spent driving around Slea Head and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

http://ukfrey.blogspot.com/2011/08/ireland.html
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 10:46 PM

Dingle town might be on the quiet side for them but there's always horseback riding, an excursion to the Blasket Islands & see beehive huts etc. then back to Dingle town for dinner and traditional music at the pub.

if memory serves, Rick Steves did a piece on Dingle with his family in an Ireland program -- the kids were about these ages or close to it. Worth a look.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks indy dad and annw for your replies. I'll check out the web and see if I can something on Rick Steve's trip there.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Dingle was the highlight of our trip to Ireland in 2010, but we were four adults between the ages of 24 and 39.

We did the Rick Steves self-drive tour around Dingle one day, which we loved but I think the kids might find it a bit boring. However, we went to Brandon Point another day, did some hiking, and sat on a cliff and watched dolphins in the water. That was great. We also did the Conor Pass drive, stopped at the waterfall, and did a short hike to a lake. If they're at all into hiking, there are definitely things to do for two days. We had wonderful weather, so I can't speak to what it's like in bad weather.

There was trad music nearly every night, as well.

We stayed in Greenmount house and loved it. The four of us shared a room, (two sisters and our husbands,) and the breakfasts were amazing.