First time to Italy

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Italy

Hi we will be traveling with 2 toddlers, ages 3 and 15 months. It's our first trip to Italy.
I ideally want it see Florence, Venice and maybe Tuscany. We will have 9 days starting last August to early September. We can fly to Rome or Florence or Venice . Any suggestions what should be covered with kids and which city should be used as base.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 03:23 AM

Frankly I wouldn't visit Italy with 2 little ones at that time - it is just too incredibly hot (with many places without AC ) and mobbed. I would switch the trip to - or late Sept/early Oct or pick a place with better weather in August.

And with 2 little ones I would stay in one place in an apt - near a playground and park and plan a very low key vacation - with one adult activity each day and the rest of the time just relaxing.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:17 AM

nytraveler is absolutely right - it will be VERY hot, especially in the cities. In Tuscany, the best what you can do is staying at one of those very nice fattorias - farms with apartments former agricultural buildings usually grouping around a swimming pool (however not cheap).

Temperatures will be a bit cooler in the mountains. Consider staying near Lake Garda on higher altitude and make daytrips from there. Venice will be in reach, Verona, Milano and the beautiful towns at the shores of Lake Garda. Or you stay directly on the Adriatic Coast near Venice - but it will be crowded.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

yeah we like to have a low key vacation, spend quality time with kids. Enjoy the country side. Our plan right now is to leave around aug 27 and come back by Sept 7. Will it be very hot at that time? that is the only time we can go as after that my son will start school and we wont be able to take time off. I would very much like to have 1 base and stay in an apartment, if its in a farm i think that would be great too.
Can you please suggest some farms in cities which serve as good base to see tuscany.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:41 AM

You may start here:

http://www.agriturismo.it/en/farmhouse/search
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Do these farmhouses have kitchenette to make small quick meals for kids?