Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Ireland Car Rental (World MC again)
Notices

Ireland Car Rental (World MC again)

Jun 30th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Ireland Car Rental (World MC again)

I tried tacking this onto an older message with no response. Here's hoping a separate posting will work.

I have a car reserved with Dan Dooley for August with CDW and I plan to add the super CDW from insurance4carhire.com. I was going to take the easy, but expensive route but I thought I'd have a go with the World MC route to save ~€150 (a nice chunk).

My understanding from previous posts for my Capital One World (5466) card:

1) CDW coverage likely by MC but I need to call MC ASSIST to confirm since Ireland "may not be covered"
2) I need to decline CDW from Dan Dooley to have MC cover the car
3) I can still get supplemental insurance (tires, etc.) through a 3rd party (right?)
4) I may still be charged a chunk ($1000-2000) to cover the car when I arrive, but the letter of coverage will help avoid that.

Does that have it covered?

Question: anyone have a way to contact MC ASSIST that isn't an 800 number (I'm living in the UK at the moment . . )?

And does living in the UK somehow invalidate any of this? My address with Capital One is still in the US . . .
Jun 30th, 2011, 06:05 AM

MC will cover the CDW in Ireland - Last time I was there was Sept 2010. I have rented in Ireland from Dan Dooley 3 times in the last 3 years. ON my first trip in 2008 the required a letter from MC. On trips in 2009 and 2010 they did not.

Call MC - regulations change so frequently.
Jun 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Linda. I did call and confirmed I am good to go (but they did mention it was card specific). Very informative, knowledgeable, polite and professional call btw.

Note: for others that might be out of the country, here is a list of MC ASSIST numbers

http://www.mastercard.com/uk/persona...de/global.html

I was able to call 0800-96-4767 from the UK.

Also, my letter of coverage referred me to the Master Rental guide of benefits which I Googled to:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona..._rental_v2.pdf

Thanks to Itallian_Chauffer (Bob) for the help on the previous threads.
Jun 30th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

. . . and of course the rental guide linked above says no coverage in Ireland (but my letter of coverage does). So, as always, call MC ASSIST to confirm.

Search this Thread