Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland: Cahir Castle, Rock of Cashel, Kilkenny Castle, Glendalough

Mar 25th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

I have perhaps been asking the wrong questions. Thank you to the kind people who responded. Could we drive from Blarney to Glendalough and fit tours of Cahir Castle, Rock of Cashel, Kilkenny Castle and Glendalough into one day? If not, what should we omit? I would welcome any suggestions. Cheers, Jim.
Mar 25th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Ardfert

It is possible to do them all in one day but you will not have much time to spend in any of them.
If you are travelling in the summer it will be more feasible,especially if you leave early from Blarney-it will be bright at 6am and will still be ok up to about 10pm.If I had to omit one it would be Kilkenny.

Mar 25th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Adfert for comparing the above places. We'll try to see all of them, but if there's a time problem will probably reduce time at Kilkenny. Thank you, Jim.
Mar 25th, 2005, 09:23 PM

Kilkenny would be the one I'd drop too. But that's because of my preference for dramatic ruins, while Kilkenny evolved into more of a manor house in feel. If you like furnished Victorian period type castles with guided tours, Kilkenny would be for you. Well, it would actually be Blarney I dropped, but that wasn't the question.

On time - would depend on the person, but I know that I couldn't do all that in one day. But some of these places have century after century of history, and I love that stuff. I poke around and take pictures. Ardfert would know better than I would, of that I'm sure, but even on longer-light days, don't some of these close up at a fixed time?
Mar 26th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Clifton, thank you for replying. Although we haven't finalised our booking at a B&B near Blarney, we were referred to it by someone here in Sydney who knows the owners. Apart from Blarney Castle I thought there might be some interesting things in Cork, but you have stirred me to investigate further. Cheers, Jim.
Mar 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Ah, well yes the Cork area itself has quite a lot I find interesting, but Blarney (the castle) wasn't very interesting to me. The gardens there around the castle are very nice though.

All depends on the amount of time you have, but I've taken 3-5 days for the list you had in your initial post.
Apr 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM

Glendalough and Rock of Cashel are must sees - spend a few hours at each place. Kilkenny is pretty good and I would definitely skip Cahir - even if I had two days for the trip. The time is better spent at Glendalough or Cashel.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM

I need help with our itinery for a trip planned to Ireland beginning April 25-May 2. I would very much appreciate advice on our plans thus far as well as any other information on things we should consider or not miss. One dilemna is that there will be a road rally at the exact time we planned to visit Killarney. Unfortunately,we have already booked accommodations up to the point we intended to visit Killarney. Things can be changed ...

Here is what we plan so far:

Arrive Dublin on April 25 9 a.m.
Spend April 25 and 26 in Dublin (Suggestions, please)
April 27-travel to Waterford via Kilkenny.
April 28 travel to Cork, Blarney
April 29 THIS WAS WHEN WE WERE TO ARRIVE IN KILLARNEY
April 30-Room booked in Killarney.
May 1-Travel back to Dublin
May 2-Depart Ireland.

Should we use the 29th to travel to the Clare area, or to Dingle, or any other ideas?

Also would like suggestions for the trip from Killarney to Dublin.

Thanks!