Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland B&B/car rental vouchers Hidden cost???

Mar 11th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Keith

I am planning a trip to Ireland in early June for 10 or 11 days. I am useing CIE go as you please B&B/car rental vouchers. I was wondering if anyone knows of any hidden cost I could expect(excluding en suite rooms). With either the rental car or the B&B.

Also we were planning to start in Shannon and work our way around kind of circling the country(not including N. Ireland). Is it possible to make it around in 10-11 days?

Mar 11th, 1999, 11:27 AM
Beth

When we used CIE last year in England and Wales some of the nicer B&B's charged a "quality supplement". But this was always listed in the book, along with the "en suite" supplement. One other thing I learned the hard way...when you choose a b&b for the night look carefully at where it actually is. Some of the inns said they were "near" some sight or other, but were in actuality an hours drive away. Use a good map and read through the directions they give, don't go by what town it says its in. I considered the extra driving a hidden cost. One other small thing, the CIE voucher explicitly entitles you to make ONE phone call from a particular b&b to secure lodging at the next b&b. If you call one, and they have no space, the B&B owner is allowed to charge you to make additional calls. Most didn't. But in one place where I was having trouble making a reservation in Cardiff for the next night the innkeeper made 6 phone calls, and charged me 1 pound each! (~1.75 US). A small cost, but very irritating at the time.

Mar 11th, 1999, 11:28 AM
michele

Dear Keith,

About six years ago my husband and I took a CIE B&B/drive trip through Ireland and England. I can remember no hidden costs. It was an extremely pleasant trip and I wish more countries, specifically Italy, would offer the same
package.

By the way, we spent about two weeks in total. Enjoy your trip....

Mar 11th, 1999, 11:29 AM
hcw

My husband and I and our two children spent 10 days, driving 1200 miles, around Ireland in '94. That doesn't include taking the train from Co. Roscommon, where we stayed with our Irish priest & his family for four days, to Dublin, and he drove us most of the time we were there! Nevertheless, we saw A LOT of Ireland, but there was much that we missed as well. We didn't get to Cork or Waterford; we missed the Ring of Kerry because our daughter became quiet ill and spent two days in bed! But everything we saw was spectacular, and I wouldn't have traded a day (except maybe for our daughter not to have been sick!) My philosophy is that you can't possibly see it all (even in a small country like Ireland) in such a short time, and whatever you miss is just an excuse to go back again!

Mar 11th, 1999, 01:42 PM
leechase

I think it is possible to go around Ireland in 10 days but you will be really rushed. I would tend to focus on the west coast first and see how much time you have left. The first time we went to Ireland we did the same thing.....we raced all over. We had been told to go slower and it was only later that we realized that's what we should have done. Be sure to see the Dingle Peninsula. Hope you have a great time.