Ireland:Away from Tourists

Feb 26th, 2000, 02:44 PM
Tannya

Ireland:Away from Tourists

My husband and I are planning an Ireland vacation for our 10th Anniversary. We want to see Ireland without lots of tourists. Countryside, pubs, out of the way places. I would appreciate any advise from anyone! We will have a couple of weeks there. We are in our 40's. We plan a late Sept. or Oct trip. Is that a good time? We will rent a car. Thanking you in advance.
Tannya

Feb 26th, 2000, 03:41 PM
Cathy

Tanya,
Sept or Oct is a good time. I would suggest that you get some brochures from the Irish Tourist Board first and plan what you might like to see.I was not sure how long you have - a couple of weeks is vague. The Tourist Board have a book called the Blue Book which has excellent and different type of hotels and farmhouse accommodation - just right from wedding anniversaries. Some of my favourites include Tinkakilly House in Wicklow - expensive but worth at least one night, Ballymaloe in Cork (same story but the food is out of this world with a cookery school also on the premises). Near Mullingar there is an excellent B&B called Reynella House which is worth checking out. Hotels well the Great Southern on Eyre Square in Galway is a lovely hotel as is its sister the Corrib just outside the city. The Great Southerns throughout Kerry are very good too. In October you should not have to worry about reservations in advance (expect for the holiday weekends ie long weekends, Sept well it might be a good idea to book a little ihn advance). Some of the tourist attractions will have reduced opening hours October but all will be open. Spend some time in Dublin - shop, walk (take the Trinity College Historic Walking Tours or the Literature Pub Crawl) Eat at Chapter One on Parnell Sq and see the Writers Museum. Also check out the Book of Kells, The Guinness Brewery, the National Museum and National Art Galley (both free) the Whiskey corner. Explore the Wicklow Mts (Tinkakilly House or Mitchelles of Laragh) see Glendalough, head on to Waterford and the Crystal Factory tour, Cork and Kerry then next, then Clare and the Cliffs of Moher (see Bunratty Castle and the Folk Park), Rock of Cashel in Tipperary, Galway coastal area - the city should not be too full of tourists at that time and is worth a visit - go out through Salthill and see the coastal area, Donegal is a mystic place and very untourist populated at that time of the year, head back towards Dublin exploring Cavan and Oldcastle - Lough Crew ancient passage graves or Newgrange, Kells etc. Rent the car before you land and check out whether you could fly to Shannon and return from Dublin - that would reduce the amount of driving you would have to do - remember the roads and distances in Ireland are deceptive. Enjoy the planning and the holiday.

Cathy

Feb 26th, 2000, 05:57 PM
Maggie

We were in Ireland in mid-late Sept and it was glorious. For the fewest other tourists (after all, that's what we all are!!) I would suggest northern Galway, Mayo and Donegal---beautiful. In mid Sept we landed in Dingle in the middle of an Irish Music festivel---superb. You will have a wonderful time

Feb 27th, 2000, 02:55 PM
Chris

Tannya - The Irish Tourist Board has a wonderful web site with accommodations and accompanying photos and detailed information. Some of my favorites areas were Westport, Bantry, Cobh and the Beara Penninsula. I don't think you can get more "out of the way" than the Beara Penninsula. Look into it!

Feb 28th, 2000, 03:48 PM
elvira

If you want to see Ireland without tourists, try Northern Ireland. Stunning scenery, lots of castles and historical sights, great pubs, wonderful food and very welcoming people.
It'll be nippy, but it's a good excuse to spend more time in a pub, drinking Guinness and talking to the denizens.

Feb 29th, 2000, 01:06 PM
frank

Ardara is a nice wee place on the West coast.Also the previous poster's point about the North
is good, they get far less tourists than they should, and no it's not at all dangerous, try it.

Feb 29th, 2000, 02:48 PM
susan

I suggest Connemara. I was there last September and didn't think it was nearly as touristy as the other parts of Ireland I saw. For example, I skipped going on a trip to the Aran Islands because there were so many people lining up at the tickets booths in Galway for little trips over there.

Instead, I spent a day on an island off the Connemara coast. (Inishboffin - - not sure that's spelled correctly). There was one ferry that took about twenty people over, all of whom immediately scattered in separate directions. My fiance and I took a beautiful long walk out to the point of the island, where there were some ruins of a prison Oliver Cromwell built for catholic priests. Not only was no one there that day, but it looked like no one had been there in a very long time. We also walked around the rest of the island and saw a seal colony, incredible scenery, etc.

I think you would like Connemara.

Feb 29th, 2000, 04:43 PM
jayne

I agree with the Connemara suggestion. We travelled there two summers ago, high season, and found far fewer tourists than in southern Ireland--mostly Europeans, hardly any Americans, so it really seemed like "away." We stayed for abour 4 nights near Clifden.The scenery is heavenly beautiful, and the hiking is wonderful if you can find dry areas. Our b&b owner suggested a walk on the cliffs where it was just us and the sheep for the whole morning. Clifden is lively enough though for a little night life, at least on the weekends.

Mar 1st, 2000, 02:45 PM
Tannya

Thank you all so much! You are all so kind to take the time to help me plan my trip. I can't wait to see the beautiful country that is Ireland.

Tannya

Mar 18th, 2000, 06:15 AM
victoria

Am currently planning a trip in August. Has anyone styed in Leenane at the Delphi Lodge?- or at Aran View House in Doolin? Any suggestions on things "must see" or must miss would be appreciated