Reload this Page >

Ireland at Christmas

Search

Ireland at Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 11:32 AM
mel

Ireland at Christmas

We are going to be in IReland the weeks of Christmas and New Years. It's not my first choice time of year to be there, but does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 01:54 PM
Maggie

I spent a Christmas in Ireland and it was the best Christmas of my life. I now qualify as a senior citizen so that's alot of Christmases. For the Irish this is a very family oriented time of year. Getting together and enjoying each others company. Business wise the country almost shuts down at this time of year, but the atmosphere is contagious. Not big on extravagant gifts or lots of trees and tinsel. I would recommend Dublin as that is where I was and if this is your first time to Ireland or being there for the first time at this time of year, the city would probably best suit you. Have a good time.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 02:52 PM
xxx

I was in Ireland the first week of January and found that most of the small towns are decorated for the holidays.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:22 PM
janis

Ireland is wonderful during the holidays. But do be aware that many - if not most - B&Bs close over Christmas.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 11:13 AM
Cathy

Mel, <BR> <BR>Some of the smaller old style houses do special Christmas packages and they are really worth, I would go and stay at some of them myself only my family would kill me for leaving them - check out www.hidden-ireland and keep an eye out for Tinakilly House. All the major hotels also offer Christmas packages and the one offered by the Great Southern Hotel is usually very good see www.gsh.ie. <BR> <BR>Dublin has a great atmosphere but is usually jammed with people, try and get out into the countryside or to some of the smaller cities and towns eg Kilkenny, <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Mick

Good Day Mel <BR> <BR>Two things to know, about what it's like over here at Christmas: <BR> <BR>1) Weatherwise, it'll be milder than in most of the US. Irish winters are far more temperate than the ones I remember in Virginia. The tough thing about winter over here is the darkness- Ireland is as far north as Alaska, and the sunrise warms the sky at 9 AM, and it's pitch black by 5 PM. <BR> <BR>2) Most every shop will be closed down. The only thing you will find open & inviting is the pub. My inlaws live in the pub for the week between Christmas and New Years. Everyone just gathers around, chats, eats, watches movies on telly (no commercial breaks during Christmas! Excellent) and sleeps. <BR> <BR>More info on my website. <BR> <BR>All the best <BR> <BR>Mick <BR>ww.dfaguide.com