Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   IRELAND, any great ideas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-any-great-ideas-15211/)

laura Jun 26th, 1997 07:06 PM

IRELAND, any great ideas?

I'm going to ireland next spring and was wondering if anyone could tell me any places that i just can't miss...non touristy preferably.

Murphy Jun 27th, 1997 07:31 AM

Murphy Jun 27th, 1997 07:36 AM

Here's a quick short list: In Co. Clare - the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren. In Co. Mayo - Black Sod Bay is very rural, sort of desolate, livelihood is fishing, small farms ( I have relatives in Belmullet & Castlebar). In Co. Wicklow - Glendalough - an 8th century monastery in a valley. In Co. Cork - the town of Kinsale. Just drive and find your own favorites. There will be many of them! E-mail me for more discussion!

mike Jun 27th, 1997 09:02 AM

kerry county is really nice. I heading there in about two weeks. I have not been to ireland in four years and I can't wait. What I remember is that it has such a nice atmosphere. You wave to anybody on the road that you pass. It has good salmon and trout fishing. Killarney is really nice.

Jim Blaul Jun 27th, 1997 09:14 PM

Near Cork is a town called Baltimore on the southern coast. The significant part is that
there are two islands off the coast: Sherkin
Island and Cape Clear Island. I believe there
are ferries to Cape Clear I but am not sure about
Sherkin. I have never been there but I plan to
visit. Also: STRONGLY RECOMMEND VISITING FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE--- Dublin(Temple Bar section
at night) and Galway(Visit Quays Pub). Will be
glad to help you, because I have plenty of books,
including train/bus schedules. Please write: [email protected]

B-Gal Aug 17th, 1997 06:11 PM

I was in Ireland in June of 1995 and by far the most impressive sight I've ever seen was the Giant's Causeway, in Ulster. Don't miss it! You indicated you did not want anything tto "touristy". This does not fall into that catagory, but it is the most beautifl, unusual geologic rock formation imaginable. Have a great time.

Nancy Dillon Aug 18th, 1997 08:59 AM

My husband and I just returned from our fifth trip to Ireland. We really love the Dingle area and I especially enjoyed a day trip we took to the Blasket Islands. They are rich in literary history yet completely abandoned. I also enjoyed a day trip by boat to Cape Clear in Co. Cork. Both of these islands are beautiful and non touristy.

Philip Aug 25th, 1997 06:34 AM

If you want to visit a place that is not all touristy etc., come to Dublin. It is the most excellent place for nightlife especially temple bar.
Send me an e-mail for more information. I am in the marketing department of The Doyle Hotel Group, so I can hopefully send you more information.

philip Aug 26th, 1997 07:44 AM

Dublin is your best bet
there are loads of good pubs etc and great people

john f o'donnell Aug 27th, 1997 07:22 AM

l would like some info on the villages & towns in eastern Limerick. Kilfinanne, Galbally, Ballylanders, etc. Thank you

ANGIE Aug 30th, 1997 09:39 PM

I TRAVELLED TO IRELAND FIVE YEARS AGO...YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. CAN HARDLY BEGIN TO LIST ALL THE PLACES YOU SHOULD NOT MISS! SORRY, I DO NOT HAVE A MAP OF IRELAND NEARBY, BUT I'LL DO MY BEST. NEAR THE RING OF KERRY, BE SURE TO SEE BALLINGSKELLINGS - VERY BEAUTIFUL. ALSO, WE STAYED ON VALENTIA ISLAND, JUST OFF THE COAST PART WAY THROUGH THE RING OF KERRY - WONDERFUL PEOPL. ON THE SOUTHERN COAST, NEAR CORK, DO NOT MISS COBH. IT IS POSSIBLY THE MOST CHARMING PLACE ON EARTH. HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME - YOU WILL LOVE THE PEOPLE!

nicole Aug 31st, 1997 06:17 AM

Well as a native ....I live in Co. Clare Ireland and the Cliffs of Mohar are most beautiful....breathtaking really...I have just spent a week with some Dutch friends of mine and I went to the Aran Islands with its 360degree views of the Atlantic ocean and unspoilt beauty and ancient forts don't miss it..and its quite reasonable too. £21ir including bed and breakfast and a 40 min ferry ride to the island Inis Mór
Its a must...if you want more info mail me ...and I'll bore you with some holiday photos!!

huggz
nikkii

Tricia Aug 31st, 1997 08:48 PM

For all of your island lovers there are a group of islands off the coast of Holland (Friesland Islands)
the two biggest are Texel and Terschelling. Don't miss them either, because the tourists all do and they are beautiful to bicycle, horseback ride and explore. Food and shops great too! WHERE ARE THE ARAN ISLANDS. SUPPOSE I SHOULD GET A MAP OF IRELAND NOW! THEY SOUND LOVELY AS WELL.

Sydney Sep 9th, 1997 04:52 PM

Sending this to 9/9 for others with same questin

Laura Thomas Sep 10th, 1997 01:28 PM

I am coming to Ireland on October 21 to run the Dublin City Marathon. I need a hotel recommendation for the night of Ocotober 21. Preferably near the airport. We plan to rent a car and drive the countryside the next morning and do not want to worry about Dublin traffic. We return to Dublin on October 24.

diane Sep 10th, 1997 05:12 PM

Please do Kilmore Quay, this tiny place near Waterford that still has thatched roof housing. The ring of Kerry is gorgeous. Also, avail yourself of the ancient sites along the way that are not in books or guides...there are simple signs, "please see Mrs. White next door for history and tour of this church." These places are incredibly special, and just pop up as you drive across Ireland. Have a great time.

Kelly Sep 14th, 1997 12:59 PM

Correction: Kilmore Quay is closer to Wexford than to Waterford. On the way, check out Hook Head ( the expression " by hook or by crook" originated here as Hook head faces Crook head across the mouth of the bay - Strongbow said he would take Ireland by Hook or by Crook, or so the story goes!). As you travel from Waterford, take the ferry from Passage to Ballyhack - great views. Also check out Templars Inn on the way to the Hook - a great pub and restaurant near a 12th century Knights Templar church. I could go on and on and on........

Shawn Ricoy Oct 2nd, 1997 07:36 AM

My husband and I had a two week visit in July 97. We prefer the non-touristy places, too. We rented a car and drove, which was great. Go to the Cliffs of Moher, Arin Islands, Glenveagh Nat'l Park, Croagh Patrick, Belleek Porcelain factory, Giants Causeway, Dingle Penninsula. Small towns we enjoyed - Ennis, Letterkenny, Lisdoonvarna, *Derry* - our favorite.

seamus Oct 31st, 1997 09:28 PM

Just back from a visit, and amopng the standout memories are Ballymaloe House in County Cork - not inexpensive, but absolutely worth the splurge of spending a night and having dinner there. Muckross House near Killarney is delightful. The Ring of Kerry is one of the few "well-known" spots that deserves to be well known - truly spectacular scenery. Cliffs of Moher, Craogh Patrick, and passage tombs at Newgrange are not to be missed. Dublin is grand for a say or two, then get out and on with it!