Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland & Scotland travel and scuba-diving??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!
My friend and I are planning a 14-17 day trip between Ireland & Scotland and would really appreciate any advice for travel tips in and between these countries. We are thinking the best way to go is to rent a car, but we aren't sure we can take the car into Scotland. Also has anyone been scuba-diving in Ireland?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Tina
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:47 AM

Can't say about Scotland but the village of Baltimore has a busy dive center. Baltimore is a lovley seaside village on the extreme southern tip of Ireland. Have fun
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JOHNOD!!
I will check into it.
I thought since I was there I might as well dive.
Tina
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Friends of mine have been diving in Dingle or outside of it. Baltimore as mentioned also above is popular. Just realise its bloody cold here diving from what they say!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:46 AM

Hi Tina

Taking the car on the ferry to Scotland would be pretty expensive and I believe that most rental agencies don't allow it. That said, if you are taking a 14-17 day trip around Ireland AND Scotland and are doing some diving in Baltimore, you will have a very full trip. Baltimore is just about as far as you can get from the ferries to Scotland.

Keep in mind that a travel day from one country to another pretty much takes up the whole day so you lose a day. We had a 1:15 minute flight from Ireland to London in March, but with getting to the airport, dropping off the car, checking in, security, getting through Gatwick, taking the Express mind you into London, walking to the hotel, we were just in time for dinner.

You could easily spend 14-17 days in either country, but if you do both, you may want to focus your Ireland trip on the north half if you intend to take the ferry. The other option is to fly one of the discount airlines (Ryan Air for instance).

Siobhan is right, the water is a tad bit cold over there.

Bill
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Even IF you could take the rental car - there is no ferry from Ireland to Scotland. The ferries go from near Belfast in Northern Ireland to the far southwestern corner of Scotland.

So you would have to drive across all of two countries and then half of Scotland.

I recommend you pick one country or the other - but if you decide to try both - I would fly from either Cork or Shannon to Glasgow and forget the whole ferry idea.