Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland and Pubs with 16-year-olds (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-and-pubs-with-16-year-olds-827883/)

DrToonz Feb 23rd, 2010 06:33 AM

Ireland and Pubs with 16-year-olds

Hi, everyone. Traveling this summer with a pair of 16-year-olds. Can they join their mom and dad at a pub? Are there restrictions? If so, do those restrictions vary based on location (County? City?)? They are music lovers and I would love them to be able to experience live music. Thanks.

CAPH52 Feb 23rd, 2010 06:40 AM

According to the law, no one under 18 is supposed to be in a pub after 9:00. And the music usually starts late. However, we were there three years ago with our son who was 16 at the time and had no problems. He was in the pubs with us every night. That was in March in Galway, Westport and Ennis. During the summer, in some of the more touristed areas, it might be more of a problem. But I've yet to see anyone post here that they've had trouble.

Padraig Feb 23rd, 2010 06:59 AM

The law in Ireland generally applies in the same way everywhere. Enforcement can vary, but that is informal policy, and you cannot presume on that. If anything, it's a little less of a problem in tourist areas if young people are accompanied by parents and do not take alcoholic drink. If a particular pub is thought by the local police to be too relaxed about enforcing the legal drinking age, then it might be more strictly monitored.

Cutting through the verbiage: you'll generally get away with it.

CAPH52 Feb 23rd, 2010 07:51 AM

Not that it matters, but I just realized it was four years ago. Scary how fast the time goes!

Padraig Feb 23rd, 2010 02:20 PM

Yours are the trivial concerns of the young, CAPH52. Wait until you find yourself asking what happened to the past decade.

annhig Feb 23rd, 2010 02:22 PM

Dr. T - you're talking about Ireland.

I would be VERY surprised if anyone turned a hair.

CAPH52 Feb 23rd, 2010 04:47 PM

Why thank you, Padraig. It's been a while since anyone's called me young!

DrToonz Feb 23rd, 2010 07:58 PM

Thanks, all. :) Sounds like my boys might be able to enjoy a night or a few nights of pub activity. We'll keep the alcohol away from them and see what happens.
By the way...what DID happen to the last decade? Weren't these kids SIX just a couple years ago?

Cowboy1968 Feb 23rd, 2010 09:03 PM

I'm not 100 pct sure on this, so make sure to double-check with local expertise, but I think in the North your son would be able to enjoy a beer with a meal.

sashh Feb 23rd, 2010 10:38 PM

How old do they look? I can't tell a 16 year old from a 19 year old.

DrToonz Feb 24th, 2010 02:19 PM

My kids look young. Unfortunately for THIS cause, they look 14.

annhig Feb 24th, 2010 02:57 PM

don't think that'll matter Dr. T.

honestly, the Irish usually aren't bothered.

CAPH52 Feb 24th, 2010 03:07 PM

Well, DrToonz, for what it's worth, when we were in Westport there was what appeared to be a local family in the pub with their very young children at around 10:00.

As Padraig said, as long as yours aren't drinking, chances are you won't have any problems. My guess is the worst that would happen is that they would ask you to leave. And, that time of the year, chances are there'll be another pub with music!

My daughter's Irish in-laws visited them in Chicago this past fall. They had quite a night out with some relatives at a function at the Irish American Heritage Center. My daughter's MIL commented that they never get music that good at home. So if you have problems catching Irish music with them in Ireland, bring them to the Irishfest in Chicago in July! :-D