Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland & George Bush (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-and-george-bush-412292/)

MaryZ Mar 17th, 2004 02:34 PM

Ireland & George Bush

Just learned that Bush is likely to attend the EU meeting in County Kerry on June 25 & 26. Rumor has it that the meetings will be held near Kenmare (Sheen Falls) or Sneem (Parknasilla). Those of you who have visited those areas can imagine what they'll be like with hordes of security and media. If you'll be visiting Ireland this summer,you might want to adjust your itinerary accordingly.

Gardyloo Mar 17th, 2004 02:46 PM

County <i>KERRY???</i> Surely you jest.

MaryZ Mar 17th, 2004 02:48 PM

No, it's true. Wonder what he'll think of all the 'Up Kerry' T-shirts.

progol Mar 17th, 2004 05:11 PM

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to the photo ops!
Paule

NEDSIRELAND Mar 18th, 2004 01:26 AM

A general feeling I got from Irish people we met during a recent visit there is: there's no love lost for George W. Bush. If U.S. Tourism to Ireland is 'down' this year, they will surely blame GWB for U.S. Fiscal Policies (i.e., weak dollar vs. the Euro).

Expect to see Irish (and other EU) protesters carrying signs and placards denouncing GWB for his war in Iraq and other stuff.

SiobhanP Mar 18th, 2004 01:35 AM

Mary are you sure? Last I heard it was going to be in the Phoenix Park. I was planning on exiting Dublin for a few days to escape the madness. I am not interested in Waking up to Military jets flying over my place :-) I think the countryside is a better and more secure place for these meetings.

JonJon Mar 18th, 2004 02:55 AM

Siobhan, if you hurry you might snag a job with the Bush camp re your feelings about security..they need intellectual help.

PatrickLondon Mar 18th, 2004 02:59 AM

Isn't Bertie Ahern a wee tease...?!

SiobhanP Mar 18th, 2004 03:39 AM

jonjon...ouch!
I am just not happy to read they found maps of Milan and Dublin in a van with other material linked to terrorists recently. Belive it or not they were talking about having jets fly over the park where he was supposedly ataying (We have no airforce here) and making the city centre a no fly zone...maybe it all BS but thats what I read in the papers a while back. Sounds like a bad movie...but not one I care to be in!

Budman Mar 18th, 2004 03:43 AM

Well, what were things like when Clinton visited Ireland? It shouldn't be any different. ((b))

Clifton Mar 18th, 2004 04:03 AM

Now, if I've been to (County) Kerry and had a few walks in the Bush (Australia), would that make me bi-partisan?

Gardyloo Mar 18th, 2004 05:01 AM

No, it just means that you're better traveled than the President of the United States.

And as for me, well, I've been to Cheney (Washington) and can inform you that there were no bunkers to hide in.

As for Crawford, Texas, I think that's pretty close to the Nader (sic) of existence...

MaryZ Mar 18th, 2004 05:35 AM

Siobhan,
No, I don't think it's definite yet. The Kerryman (via www.unison.ie) reports 'strong indications' that it will be held near Kenmare or Sneem.

Ann41 Mar 18th, 2004 05:44 AM

Why can I not get away from this man?

BTilke Mar 18th, 2004 07:26 AM

Despite his name, Kerry has an Austrian background. When I was in Vienna last week, there was some minor gloating about that...an Austrian now governor of California and the *possibility* of someone with Austrian roots as President (everyone deftly turns aside any thoughts about the anti-Semitism that caused Kerry's Austrian ancestors to leave the country).
Of course, there's nothing wrong with County Kerry claiming the man too, just as millions of people celebrate St. Patrick's Day despite having no Irish background.

Dr_DoGood Mar 18th, 2004 08:55 AM

I thought Kerry's background was not Austrian but Sudeten German.

The displaced Sudeten German's have already earmarked the opportuinity to get their greviences back on the international political agenda whilst the Czech mayor of a Sudeten town was quoted as saying that he had no wish to rake over old coals with the German's [surprise, surprise!]and that, of course, Senator (or possibly, President) Kerry would be very welcome in his town.

Dr D.

BTilke Mar 18th, 2004 11:15 AM

From a geneology website: Kerry's grandfather, Frederick A Kerry, shoe merchant, was born as Fritz Kohn at Bennisch, Austria [now Horni Bene?ov, Czech Republic], 10 May 1873, birth recorded among the Jewish births on the last folio (folio 77) of vol. VII (1866-1873) of the Roman Catholic birth records of the Bennisch parish, baptized along with his wife and infant son Erich at the Pfarrkirche St. Othmar in M&ouml;dling, Austria, on 9 Oct. 1901 (Erich had been born there on 26 Feb. 1901), by decree of 17 Dec 1901 of the Austrian Statthalterei in Vienna the name Kohn was officially changed to Kerry (for Fritz, his wife Ida, geb. L&ouml;we, and their son Erich) at which time Fritz was listed as born in Bennisch but originating from Freudenthal, and currently working as a supplier for a shoe factory in M&ouml;dling (the name change was ordered in Austrian Silesia on 17 March 1902 at Troppau), sailed (with his wife and son Erich) on the Koenigin Luise departing from Genoa, Italy, on 4 May 1905 and arriving in New York (Ellis Island) on 18 May 1905, filed a Declaration of Intention for naturalization in the Circuit Court of Cook Co., Ill., on 21 June 1907, and a Petition of Naturalization in the same Court on 6 Feb. 1911, d. (suicide by pistol shot to the head in the men's lavatory of the Copley Plaza Hotel, 487 Boylston Street) Boston, Mass., 23 Nov. 1921, age 48y 6m 13d, bur. Holyhood Cemetery, Brookline, Mass. 25 Nov. 1921

Dr_DoGood Mar 18th, 2004 12:27 PM

Exactly - Horni Benesov, slap back in the middle of Upper Silesia, where lived many of the Sudeten Germans until the 1945 expulsions.
Whilst this was certainly a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire the family is most definitely Sudeten German in origin.

Pedantic? Moi?

Dr D. :)

capo Mar 18th, 2004 01:34 PM

For Bush, Ireland is Ireland, but Ire Land is France.

OReilly Mar 18th, 2004 02:07 PM

I have stayed in both kenmare and Sneem. The logistics would be a nightmare :( and I just can's see how the Garda Siochana could cope.

Siobhan: If Pheonix Park, is he going to stay at Aras an Uchtarain? I hope NOT the park, my sister lives just opposite the Castleknock gate YIKES! Where did you read about the maps and terrorist thing? Also, surely we have an airforce? I distincting remember, when I worked for Aer Lingus in the late 70s, been shown a top secret military jet in one of the hangers that was in for service (I has a tarpaulin thrown over it - Irish version of national security :) ) and I thought the airforce was based out of Baldonald. Of cource, that might have been the ONLY jet :)