Ireland alternative to SW route.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As suggested I am repositioning theis message to get a better chance at a response. Any thoughts on this part of Ireland?

Yesterday I posted a potential itinerary with a swing from Shannon to Dublin through the southwest. However, I am considering an alternative - from Shannon, a bit northwest to the coast - say around Clifden, then heading east basing the route on ancient mythical sites and castles, ending again in Dublin just to catch a plane. Would this part of Ireland disappoint us as first time visitors?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:11 AM

We have visited Ireland 4 times in the past 20 years..the last being the Northwest last spring..May to be exact.. It is by far my favorite ..way fewer tourists.. fantastic scenery..if you like a rugged, beautiful coast line..Donegal, Mayo our favorites. Cashel House in County Mayo is outstanding. Read up on that area.. It probably would be more rainy.. depends on when you go. It's glorious.!!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

We are going the first week of October. four adults. We like a relaxed pace, history, gardens, shopping, forts, pubs.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Northwest! My favorite area is around Killybegs- beautiful and wild.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 08:20 AM

I did just that in March 2004. Landed in Shannon and drove to Clifden--spent a couple days there at Abbeyglen Castle. Headed north to Killybegs--through Leenane, the DooLough pass to Louisburgh, Westport, Castlebar, etc. A day or so in Donegal (any part is beautiful). Then on to Portrush NI where we stayed and went to Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle. From there a night at Castle Leslie in Co. Monaghan and down to Dublin. Lots of driving, but I thought a great trip. Being March, it was tourist-free. We were the only people at Giant's Causeway, and other places, which was great. Probably my favorite trip!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:34 AM

In Donegal,do not miss Glenveagh Nat'l park..fantastic..We stayed at Castle Murray house a jewel..very affordable.excellent cuisine..situated on a beautiful peninsula..lighthouse on the end..great walks..Killybeggs near by..if you enjoy walks..Slieve League Mt is the best.. only in good weather.. In Connemara..Kylemore Abbey is a must to see..If you want more details..let me know.A nice history museum in the area also..