Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-997237/)

scissorwizard Nov 8th, 2013 04:49 AM

Ireland

We would like to visit Ireland but don't know what time of the year, we should visit.
After the main tourist rush please.
How long should we be there to visit most of it.
Where should we start...thought of renting a car also.
Any advice would be so appreciated, thanks.

TPAYT Nov 8th, 2013 05:10 AM

I'm definitely not an expert, there are many more Fodorites with more Irish experience, but we did visit twice in 8 mo. time.

Sept. 2010---Shannon to Westport, south to Dingle, Kenmare(see trip report.)
May, 2011---Dublin, Trim, Carrick-on-Shannon, south to Kinsale, Kilkenny.

Here's my thoughts:
Sept. was prettier as all the flowers were still blooming. Beautiful weather, spectacular scenery in the SW.

May mostly buds, some flowers. Weather was OK Sept. was better

Rented a car from Dan Dooley both times with great success.

Where should you start? Get a guide book and read Fodorites trip reports and see what interests you.

Will we return? Definitely!
Where will we go next time? Doolin, Cliffs of M. area(it was foggy that day so we didn't stop there. SW again, our favorite part plus Bearra Pen. that we missed. And more Westport & Achill Island.

Worst driving experience---around Killarney and the ROK area. Way too much traffic w/buses. Otherwise driving was OK.

Happy planning!

BigRuss Nov 8th, 2013 06:20 AM

You need to hit the books and do some research to focus your trip and your questions.

If you really want to avoid tourists, go in December or January. The weather will probably suck, the daylight hours will be minimal, but the furriners sharing the country with you will be fewer.

Tony2phones Nov 8th, 2013 12:51 PM

Have a look at some trip reports on this and other forums,, from St Patricks, St Pats (Never Pattys) to mid June are pre season, Sept is a good option and perhaps early October although things close around then.
A car will give the freedom to go off piste if you like but typical Tourist spots are well covered by either public transport or local tours. Bus Tour holidays are not on my recommended list. and 10 days would be a recommended minimum.

abram Nov 8th, 2013 05:01 PM

We spent 5 weeks in Ireland July 29-Swpt 2--and that was just about the right amount of time to see just about everything we wanted to see in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

We loved that it was light so late and didn't really encounter masses of other tourists.

scissorwizard Nov 9th, 2013 10:17 AM

Thanks to all. I think we'll go in early Sept. 10 days sounds good , Tony2phones. We will rent a car but I'll do research first to see where we should start. Want a little cooking facilities especially for breakfast and pack lunches to travel around.

longhorn55 Nov 9th, 2013 11:28 AM

You don't need to find a place with cooking facilities for breakfast and lunches in Ireland if you stay in B&Bs. You'll get a hot Irish breakfast each morning that will fill you up. And it's easy to pack lunches each day without having access to a kitchen. We just bought staples (bread, chips, cookies) and carried them around with us and then bought our sandwich meat and cheese each day in the local supermarket deli section. Our little soft-sided cooler kept things plenty cool during the day while we were sightseeing.

Tony2phones Nov 9th, 2013 11:33 AM

If the breakfast thing is down to dietary requirements then give your hosts advance warning and there will be no problem providing your needs (within reason)

Kristinelaine Nov 9th, 2013 11:33 AM

I think 10 days is extremely minimal if you want to "visit most of it" as you say.

scissorwizard Nov 11th, 2013 05:06 AM

How long do you think we need, Kristinelaine... Where for Canada and want to land in England and visit friends and then fly to Ireland. So far,we know ,we are renting a car, staying in BB's and travelling in Sept.
I've being doing research, so much to see... but want to know what is the best to see. Love culture, history ,scenery, people. We can't do it all. Thanks for your help, all of you.

Tony2phones Nov 11th, 2013 06:00 AM

Some might depend on Where in England and how you aim to get to Ireland. Regional Airlines fly from England into any Irish airport so you can do an Arc rather than a loop. These airlines have strict baggage allowances which will as such be the limit for your whole trip. You can Rail and sail from any mainline UK station into Dublin but this will take some time.