Drive or train from Venice to Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get a handle on which mode of transportation would be best - train or rental car? Are the roads difficult to navigate?

Your thoughts? Thanks!
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM

If you plan to have a car in Tuscany then you should drive.
The roads are all Autostradas except for your last few miles.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM

I agree with bobthenavigator. If you want to make any stops along the way (i.e. Bologna) or want to travel elsewhere in Tuscany, then a car is necessary. The Italian roads are easy to navigate, so you shouldn't have any issue. But train is very easy and recommended if you aren't planning to go anywhere else but Venice and Florence.
Have a great trip!
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Hi seetheworld, when you say Tuscany do mean the countryside or Florence? If Florence you can get off the train if you want to visit Bologna and catch the train to Florence the next day or so. Buy your tickets for Venice to Bologna and Bologna to Florence. If you plan on touring the countryside of Florence to enjoy small towns etc., you will want a rental car. As to whether you will be comfortable driving in Italy it depends as my husband always drove all over Italy but I have known friends that speak fluent Italian who would never think of driving in Italy. Have a wonderful trip in beautiful Italy.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts!

We planned to have a car in Tuscany, but had thought we would rent one after getting off the train. It seems to make better sense to get the car while in Venice if the majority of the ride is on the freeway. We will check out the costs and see what we come up with.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:07 AM

HI, STW,

I agree with your thinking- a train is easy and fast, especially if you stop in Florence. From there, you can rent a car (if you want to navigate leaving the city by car), or take a train to your first stop in Tuscany. Tuscany is a largish region and we have visited it on 2 different vacations. On our first trip, we visited Vanice and Florence and then rented a car and traveled through northen Tuscany ( including Chiani, Sienaa, etc). On another trip, we flew into Florence and took a train to Montepulciano, where we stayed for 2 weeks in a rented apartment.

Regards- welcome back.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 09:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
The last time I did this I took the train from Venice to Florence, because the time I drove that route we got caught in a huge traffic jam. If you're not planning a stop along the way, I'd take the train. It's not like it's a scenic drive from Venice to Florence, plus you can load up on espressos on the train.

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:08 AM

We always drive - finding it best to pick up your car at the largest agency possible in order to get a car as close as possible to what you want. Also - picking up a car in a relatively small town may leave you subject to limited opening hours.

as long as you need the car for Tuscany, why not pick it up in Venice?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Different ideas from different folks- choose one from Column A...