Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland 3 nights East or West? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-3-nights-east-or-west-622378/)

stotz Jun 10th, 2006 06:56 AM

Ireland 3 nights East or West?

We will be visiting our daughter who is in school at Oxford this summer and are considering also flying over to Ireland but we only would have 3-4 days. I'm inclined to fly into Shannon and spend the time driving in the countryside, while my husband thinks we should spend the time in and near Dublin. This is our first time to Ireland. Opinions please? I'm sure we'll get back to Ireland another time, but not for a few years.

sullivan1212 Jun 10th, 2006 07:35 AM

Dublin has become a major European city, high prices, high population, impossible traffic, some great pubs, many fine restaurants, good sightseeing, and plenty to do.

Western Ireland is very different. Lower prices, great scenic drives, a more "Irish" attitude, great pubs, some very good restaurants, and good one day drives in all direction. Where you go, depends on what you want. High season in Ireland can be very crowded all over, but in the West, quiet drives will still be possible.

chip Jun 10th, 2006 08:36 AM

if you want to rent a car...
shannon-
see burren/cliffs of moher and stay in doolin or go on to dingle
take the ferry across shannon, drive connor pass to dingle and do slea head loop drive, stay in dingle
tour killarney national park, muckross house/friary, ross castle and stay in killarney.
travel back to bunratty with stop in adare and/or limerick stay in bunratty for last night

or could do 3 nights in doolin/burren area or 3-killarney or 3-dingle

or could do 3 galway(salthill)do day trips to aran islands, connemara, burren/cliffs of moher

if don't want to drive...
dublin 4 days with day tour south to wicklow mts., glendalough, powerscourt one day
and another day tour north to newgrange/knowth, hill of tara

Where2Travel Jun 10th, 2006 10:38 AM

If you're happy to drive then I'd head out west. You can get extremely cheap flights to Cork and Shannon from the London airports with Ryanair and some other airlines. It'll be a better contrast to your time spend in Oxford than Dublin would be.

You could fly into one city and home from the other and then spend your time driving and stopping between the two.

Dublin is very much like a lot of European cities these days. However, it's one of my least favourite cities which is perhaps why I am suggesting you go to the west side of the country. Besides, Ireland doesn't seem to do cities very well. Its strengths are the smaller towns and countryside.

NEDSIRELAND Jun 10th, 2006 03:10 PM

I don't particularly care for Dublin. With Ireland's EU membership and Ireland's Laws re: refugees, they have an immigration problem. This was quite evident when I went out on O'Connell street to catch the 05:15 Airlink bus. I saw lots of homeless people sleeping on benches, monuments and the ground. It was worse than any US City with which I am familiar.

While there, I also read articles in the local press telling readers that the Republic has an immigration problem and citing examples of 'double dipping' for a 400-Euro Grant by people who claim to be refugees.

Sure, Dublin has Trinity College and the Book of Kells, the Guinness Brewery and it is the Capital, but for a 3-or-4 day visit, I think I would prefer the west and southwest. This is just my opinion.

annw Jun 10th, 2006 05:03 PM

Dublin's well worth a trip, and only a three hour train ride from Galway, but for a first trip I think Galway and the west would be ideal, especially with limited time, and if you rent a car.

janisj Jun 10th, 2006 05:13 PM

If it were me - I'd fly into Cork and spend the whole time inthe southwest.

scluvsrain Jun 11th, 2006 07:35 AM

I just returned from a 2 week visit to Ireland and spent 2 days in Dublin before heading west and south before looping back around to Dublin. I'd pick the western/southern area of Ireland over Dublin any day!! The Dingle peninsula is lovely, so is Killarney and Kenmare areas. Dublin is a typical European city and I agree with the previous posters here about it. I am glad I saw Dublin, but to me the more picturesque countryside and west coast of Ireland is what stays in my mind about this beautiful country. And the people everywhere are lovely, friendly and kind.

jaimewvu Jun 19th, 2006 07:21 AM

I agree -- we flew into Shannon and out of Dublin, and we wish we had spent the whole time in the West. It was very... otherworldly... there. It was like stepping back in time.

MacPrague Jun 19th, 2006 11:17 AM

Just went to Ireland for the first time with my parents. Loved the southwestern area (Killarney, Dingle, etc), could have skipped Galway, enjoyed Dublin.

In Dublin: Book of Kells and the atmosphere of the city itself is great

In the Dingle area: the landscapes are exquisite (Redwood Inn Bed and Breakfast was great, but will have to look for address or email for you if you want it)

In both: the people are super and the food is great

Go with what you like: more museums, etc=Dublin; hiking and outdoors=Killarney

Happy travels! :)