Ireland - 2-3 Weeks in July

Dec 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Ireland - 2-3 Weeks in July

I'll be venturing to Europe for a 3rd time this coming summer as a gift from the parents/to myself for surviving my first year of teaching. I'll be going on a bus tour in Eastern Europe including Berling/Warsaw/Krakow/Budapest/Vienna/Prague. Tentatively, I plan on heading to Ireland for 1-2 weeks after the tour. I have previously been to Ireland twice before for 8 weeks to study abroad in the summer and 2.5 weeks to travel solo.

This time I may either be traveling solo again or with a buddy from college if he can get out of work for a week. I have seen quite a bit, but there is still a lot that I'd like to see or revisit in Ireland.

I would like to do some more touring of Dublin, mainly Croke Park, some of the Easter Rising memorials (already been to Kilmainham and the cemetery where the men were buried), and a few other historical locations (offers welcome).

I've done the Guinness and Jameson tours already, too. I have spent extensive time (6.5 weeks in Galway), but would love to go back to just enjoy the city some more. It's like a 2nd or 3rd home. Around Galway, I've been to the Burren and Cliffs, Athenry, Connemara, and a few other stops that are day trips. I would like to venture to the Aran Islands for a day/night to see what life is like.

I would like to go back to the Dingle Peninsula, I found it much better than the Ring of Kerry. I was in Dingle for 2 nights and really enjoyed it. I'd like to go back and see what else there is to do down there. Any suggestions?

I would also like to go to Kilkenny again, I've been there for a day/night, toured the castle and walked the main street of the city. It'd be nice to see maybe the Rock of Cashel, or some other interesting locations around KK.

Cork is a city I haven't been to yet. I've been to Cobh, but that's about it. It'd be nice to visit Cork City and see what there is to do.

I would also likely be heading up to Co. Mayo and the Mullet Peninsula to visit relatives. Last time I went from Dublin to Ballina and onto Belmullet. I am open to suggestions as I know buses frequently go that direction from Galway and Dublin.

The main goals of this summer: Dublin (Croke Park, Easter Rising tours/walks), Galway (relaxing, reminisce), Kilkenny (Nowlan Park, Rock of Cashel, other sites), Dingle (see what else there is, relax), Cork City (everything there is, Pairc Ui Chaoimh), and maybe one other stop. The big things that I want to do besides the listed is attend another hurling fixture, either club or championship. I've been to one other in 08, and would like to go back to another. I'm thinking Thurles in Tipperary would be the ideal location for another stop, likely over a weekend.

Like I said, I may either be going solo again, which means I could possibly extend to closer to 2.5/3 weeks, or if my buddy goes, I'd probably cram a lot into a short time then go off and visit family.

It's a messed up post, but if you can decipher anything out of it, please offer some suggestions. I'll be planning a lot more next week when I have a winter break. I'm meeting with my travel agent on the 27th and would like to have some suggestions. I'm thinking either hostels or B&B's. I'd like to be around a lot of the action. I'm only 24 so a pub scene where there is live music is a plus for me at night. Cheap and quality is also a bonus for this trip. I'm splitting half of the cost with my parents, so the cheaper the better. I know the hostels I would likely stay at in Galway and Dublin, so the other cities are what i need the most help with.

Thank you, and hopefully you can make sense of the post.
Dec 17th, 2010, 07:06 PM

You've seen alot of Ireland and you seem to know it well, but I don't see Westport mentioned. It was one of our favorite towns and Matt Malloy's is a well known pub. Also good is Achill Island just off the coast.

IMO, Dingle is also worth more time.

This is a good source for B & B's:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...nd-Hotels.html
Jan 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Since my last post I have booked my flights to Europe. I am tentatively going to be in Ireland from July 3rd until July 14th. My buddy also backed out, which means I'll be going to Ireland solo again. I'm flying into Dublin to start and plan on spending some of the last few days with relatives if they agree to have me again. They live near Belmullet in Co. Mayo. My original plan included going from Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Galway and onto Westport and my relatives.

Now, my plans are wide open again. I have a few places in Dublin I want to visit and Galway is like a 2nd home. The rest is pretty much free. I like the sport of hurling, Irish history, and researching my ancestry.

I am open to any and all suggestions for places to visit or see. I haven't seen much of the midlands, but I really like the coasts and being by the water, despite having the opposite opinion in when I'm home.

Please offer any suggestions. Thank you!
Jan 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM

If you're going to be in Co. Mayo, consider some time on Achill Island (plenty of water there).
Jan 7th, 2011, 09:44 PM

Definitely go to Aran Islands! I visited the largest island in October and it is breath-taking. I would even suggest staying over for a night or so. I much preferred the island to Galway.
Jan 10th, 2011, 08:22 AM

You'll love the Aran Islands - if you can get in more than just Inis Mor, even better. have you thought about the Ring of Beara? I'm going myself this summer - I can't wait! I loved Dingle more than Kerry, as well.
Jan 25th, 2011, 09:43 AM

My extended family spent 2 weeks on the Dingle Pen. last summer and still didn't get to do all we wanted. there's deep sea fishing, scuba diving, hiking, Inch beach for surfing and boogie boarding. Minard castle which Cromwell tried and failed to destroy. Beehive huts, fairy forts, ancient ruins, horseback riding, if you enjoy climbing there's a great indoor climbing wall, a zip line and all kinds of foolish stuff like that the guys had a great time doing. Conor Pass is gorgeous. Annascual lake has great hiking. We did a self-catering in Annascual, avillage about 7km from Dingle. our place was just yards from the South Pole Inn, a great pub with live local music on saturday nights. Annascual actually has at least 6 pubs that I know of. a very friendly village great place to relax which is what my husband and I were looking for while the others were off adventuring. Dingle is a great place for traditional music. It's a little on the touristy side, with a couple busloads a day coming in in the summer but very friendly and feels "homey". did the ROK when I was in Ireland before, IMHO Dingle beats it hands down.
Jan 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

My itinerary has changed once again having found out my relatives are okay with me visiting for a few days. Below is my new and final itinerary. It's final because I have booked all of my hostels, and they are charged on my credit cards. I guess what I'm looking for now is suggestions on getting from one point to another, sites to see around the area, and how to locate GAA schedules for practices during the midweek. Also, should I book tours and buses before I go, or try and book them when I get to Ireland? I haven't had problems before with getting buses, but I'd like to be sure. If you have any other suggestions, I'm open.

July 3: Arrive in Dublin, check into Kinlay House Hostel, check GAA schedule @ Croke Park, if nothing of interest, find a pub and watch a few matches.

July 4: Tour Croke Park, the GPO, find Rathfarnham, Grafton Street, check with tourist office or hostel front desk for other ideas

July 5: Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough with Wild Wicklow Tours or another company

July 6: Kilkenny, check into Kilkenny Tourist Hostel, Smithwick Brewery if I can get a tour, find Nowlan Park (check practice schedule), walk the streets, check tourist office for the next day's plans

July 7: Find a tour or other avenue for adventure near Kilkenny

July 8: Galway, Sleepzone Galway, only staying the night as an in between to my relatives, arrival will be late afternoon, pub for supper and some tunes

July 9-11: Belmullet, Co. Mayo, spending time with relatives, taking in the ocean and beach,

July 12: Galway, Barnacles Hostel on Quay St., check the Arts Festival schedule, enjoy the hustle and bustle of Shop and Quay Streets, book stores, find paintings of Galway from venders, check in the GAA practice schedule @ Pearse Stadium

July 13: Galway, lounge around all day, soak up busy life, mail anything home that I can (paintings/gifts/books), maybe find some activity to do that I haven't in Galway, Arts Festival activities

July 14: Hop on the 6:15 bus from Galway to Dublin Airport, check in between 9:30-10:00, flight home at 12:30

Any suggestions for things to do in any of the cities? I spent a lot of time in both Dublin and Galway before, but am always open to other suggestions. I may even go to some places I've been before.

Thank you again for any help!

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/community/fo...#ixzz1CI6hwSrv