Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ireland - 1st time - lots of questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ireland-1st-time-lots-of-questions-434100/)

Samsaf May 21st, 2004 11:33 AM

Ireland - 1st time - lots of questions

Hi! My husband just called me and said we're going to Dublin, Ireland, in November. He will be in business meetings for a few days, and then we'll have a few days on our own. I need suggestions for what to do. We would love to stay on a cliff overlooking the sea during our few days alone. Is this a possibility? While he is in meetings, we are staying in Dublin, I think. We really like to do outdoor things rather than museum-type things. We're not beer drinkers, but we would like to go to a few good restaurants. Any ideas? Thanks!
Sherry

peteram May 21st, 2004 12:24 PM

West Coast is best for cliffs (power of the Atlantic). Everyone will tell u about cliffs of Moher but also check out Kilkee (Co. Clare) for the best cliff walk in winter - the sea spray can get u even on top of 60ft cliff.Wrap up well.

Samsaf May 21st, 2004 01:01 PM

Thanks, peteram. Is it possible to get from Dublin to the west coast easily, or would it be better to just stay around Dublin?

We would love to stay somewhere with a view that is within walking distance to a resort town; we also don't want to spend all our time traveling. Is there somewhere like this? Thanks.

Ozarksbill May 21st, 2004 01:57 PM

Sherry.

You will surely enjoy your stay in Dublin. Yes, the west of Ireland does have memorable cliffs but might not be possible for short stay.

You can travel not far from Dublin for some sightseeing...north to Knowth and the huge burial mounds, also Trim castle and hill of Tara...and south to Glendalough and Rossborough in the Wicklow Mnt. Lots to do in Dublin, too, and not enough space to tell you...depends on your interests. But don't avoid the pubs, for meals and the wonderful music.

More by email if you wish (we were in Ireland 2001 for three weeks on an Elderhostel program plus extra days in Dublin and Killarney). Only thing is that for me Ireland is a place for museums and history and scenery rather than dining and resorts. November could be chilly.

[email protected]
Bill in Missouri

Samsaf May 22nd, 2004 04:08 AM

It might be possible for us to from from Dublin to Shannon for several days, and then to fly home from there. Would we be able to see more things that way, or would it be best to stay in the Dublin area?

peteram May 22nd, 2004 06:00 AM

West is best. Visit Bunratty, Limerick,Ennis - feel modern and old ireland together - people are brilliant. eat at lunch times in pub showing 'pub grub', at night go to hotel or restaurant. many places to see close to shannon.

nytraveler May 22nd, 2004 07:38 AM

I'm not sure what outdoor stuff you like to do. You can certainly walk a lot - either i Dublin or in any of the countryside. And there are numerous places to play golf - although November will be pretty cold you should be OK wellwrapped up. Obiusly it will be way too cold for any water/boaty things - at least IMHO. What else would you be interested in outdoors???

You could certainly spend your first few days in Dublin and then rent a car and drive to the west to see cliffs etc and then leave from Shannon.

gumbo May 22nd, 2004 08:03 AM

I think west is great. Rent a car and go for it. Travel to Galway then south along the coast past the cliffs of Moher, to Kilkee. Or do the ring of Kerry, Dingle peninsula etc. As one or two others mentioned, it will be rather cold and there is a good chance that it might rain a lot. Bring the waterproofs for outdoor activities! Good restaurants are aplenty, as there are mediocre ones. The choice along the coast might be limited as you are outside the season and many places do not stay open for the winter.
For good accomodation and food try:
www.hidden-ireland.com (Delphi Lodge has been my favourite)
www.irelands-blue-book.ie/

Samsaf May 22nd, 2004 01:03 PM

We are interested in seeing cliffs, walking and seeing outdoor sights. We would have to fly from Dublin to Shannon if we decided to go to the west coast, because we don't have many days to spend there. We would love to see some castles, and even stay in one if possible

des3170 Jun 2nd, 2004 04:25 PM

We had fantastic meals in Dublin at Chameleon and Mermaid. The grilled cheese sandwiches at the White Stag pub were outstanding.

wojazz3 Jun 3rd, 2004 08:48 AM

Hi Samsaf:

You've gotten some good advice so far. Depending on how much in advance you would have to check in at the airport, the time difference between driving and flying may not be significant and most car rental companies will allow you to drop off at a different location for no extra charge. Then just fly home from Shannon. Depending on traffic, the drive to Shannon should be about 3.5-4.5 hours.

The suggestion to drive from the cliffs to Kilkee is good, but don't stop at Kilkee because that's just where it starts to get good. Take the scenic coast road south from Kilkee to Loop Head. We were there last November and made that trip and it's beautiful. It is likely to be chilly and windy at virtually any cliff you climb up to and be sure to bring rain gear if you intend to be outside for a while.

There are certainly beautiful places to see in the east, but cliff tops are a little harder to find without heading substantially north.

I know of a great place in Donegal on a cliff overlooking the sea, but I haven't come up for one in County Clare.

Keep asking questions, you'll have a great time.

Bill

Samsaf Jun 3rd, 2004 09:46 AM

Thanks, everybody. I've been concentrating on our summer family trips, and I haven't had time to really research Ireland yet. Your information has been very helpful.

Sherry

postcards Jun 3rd, 2004 10:27 AM

I was in Dublin in January this past year and it was wonderful. A bit of a chill, but could go without hat and gloves. Whatever you do, don't forget the umbrella!
If you would like to take trips out of Dublin, head to the tourist center off of Grafton Street, near Trinity College (which you should go in and check out the amazing Book of Kells). The tourist center is very helpful in all sorts of trips. We went to Glendologh and the Wicklow Mountains. Very beautiful.
Also, make sure you head to the Brazen Head in Dublin, a very small, old pub. We went there on our last night and had a wonderful time as people sang. At our table alone we counted 12 new friends all from diffrent countries!
Have a wonderful time!